Information, ideas, opinions, and reactions from and for PRIME summer interns at the Career Center.
Thursday, June 2, 2016
Calendar Post - June 9
What
part of Dr. Egenreider's talk on "doing the work that needs doing"
resonated most with you? How will you use that take-away in your work as
a PRIME intern this summer?
Among the many important points that Dr. Egenreider made in his talk about "doing the work that needs doing," the part that resonated most with me was that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. In all experiences in life, including work, it is okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them and correct them in the future. As an intern this summer, I will use this advice to ask many questions and correct any mistakes I make.
Personally, I felt that what Dr. Egenreider said about how no matter what your role is, you should still do something that needs to be done was a really important lesson to be learned. Often times, especially as an inexperienced intern, I can see many people feeling unqualified to do a certain job or task, but from what Dr. Egenreider talked about, trying and failing is better than not trying at all. Taking initiative and being genuinely interested in learning how to complete a task will be very important during my internship, and I will most definitely try to implement this mentality during the summer. As Dr. Egenreider also said, "Chance favors the prepared mind"; by being open to making mistakes and doing all that I can, I believe I will be able to make the most of my internship and learn all that I can.
The most important part for me during Dr. Egenreider speech was when he talked about doing whatever work has to be done and not thinking of yourself as above it. Especially as an intern, doing whatever you are told to do would probably be a good idea. As an intern this summer I will embrace this idea and mentality and put it to use.
The part of Dr. Egenreider's talk that resonated the most with me was that he was determined to follow a certain career goal, but found different interests within. I think as a young, influential teen it is important to keep an open mind which is a topic that Dr. Egenreider stressed in his speech. I know that interning is not always what everyone expects it to be, maybe they are let down or maybe it is more exciting than they predicted. On my first day, I will keep an clear mind about the career I have chosen to follow for the summer and be open to new opportunities.
Curiosity and openness is a main part of Dr. Egenreider's talk that resonated me the most by far. He really showed me that if you're willing to do whatever and ask questions, people will see that you're really open to anything and everything, which is an amazing trait to have. Also, to not know what exactly you want to do is okay; to have a broad spectrum of a certain subject/career will bring a conversation and that's your opportunity to create more contacts for future uses. What I got out of all of this is that if you're friendly and curious, most people will enjoy to talk to you and if you're very attentive and ask more questions, then they'll see how much potential you have. Most importantly, this internship will really answer a lot of questions to all of us, mostly all about our career and whether or not we will continue to strive for this major. All in all, this internship will show us the world if we do all the right things and open a whole new connection of people.
When I listened to Dr. Egenreider's talk I was struck by his advice on finding opportunities. His story about a friend of his who made hundreds of thousands of dollars from videos was very interesting to me. He said that his friend accepted an invitation to go fishing with some acquaintances at an event. While they were fishing, Dr.Egenreider's friend was offered an opportunity to have his new friends sell videos that he made about driving buses. He was told that for the first 1000 sold he would receive a dollar per sale and once he made it to 2000 he would receive two dollars per sale. However the sales for this video far exceeded the expectations that were set during the initial agreement, as Dr. Egenreider's friend made hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this business arrangement. The moral of this story is "consider taking whatever opportunities are offered to you, they could pay off in unexpectedly beneficial ways." I will keep this valuable lesson in mind this summer during my internship.
Dr. Egenreider left me in awe, his story resonated with me by the numerous things he has done in his life. I've always been centered and determined on one thing but life is full of changes and what I understood from the presentation was to be ready for anything, keep an opened mind, and take every opportunity that comes my way. As Dr. Egenreider said, "Don't overlook opportunities to learn something new." This internship is a start to the countless opportunities we seek and it is up to us to make the most out of it.
The part of Dr. Egenrieder’s talk that resonated most with me was we should always accept new opportunities. Even if the job or internship is not what we had in mind, we can always learn something valuable from that experience. I have learned that gaining as much experience as possible can only help us, not hurt us. We will be able to determine what careers we want to (and do not want to) pursue. As an intern, I will work to gain a lot of experience in the career I have chosen and I will always be open to new opportunities.
The thing that stuck with me is to be open minded. The career that I have been assigned was not my first choice, however after the interview I was exited to be a part of prime anyhow. If I maintain an open mind, I will learn a lot more, than if I keep a closed mind. During the speech, I was surprised at how many jobs he has had. The reason that he had so many jobs was that he didn't feel like 1 career was the career for him. Keeping an open mind allowed him to amass degrees and certifications that he never would have received otherwise. During the internship I will have to remember to be open minded.
I am delighted to read so many thoughtful responses. If you apply these ideas to your internships and the field trips, you will have an amazing PRIME experience!
Dr. Egenreider brought up many good points; the one that stuck with me most is when he talked about doing the work that needs to be done. Sometimes in school, or on a team, it is important for each person to do their assigned work. However, if one person fails to do what they were expected to do, the rest of the team has to pick up their slack and make sure the whole job gets done. When in the workplace, you are on a team. If something needs to be done, no matter what the task is, you should be open and willing to work as a fair teammate. You should be ready to cover for other teammates and accomplish what needs to be done. I hope to put this into practice during my internship! I am looking forward to all of the new experiences this internship will bring.
Of all the great points that Dr. Egenreider discussed, the one that most resonated with me was "don't overlook opportunities to learn something new." This internship is all about exploring careers and your future, and making discoveries both about yourself and what you are interested in pursuing. It is of the upmost importance to keep an open mind and look out for things that you haven't done before, and then do them. You never know if you'll enjoy something unless you actually try it. This summer, I will be looking for these opportunities to discover and explore new and exciting things during my internship. I am really looking forward to it!
I think it was really interesting how Mr. Egenrieder had so many different talents and interests and that he was able to channel them into many different careers. I particularly related to this because I, too, have a wide variety of interests and activities I want to try out, so the fact that it is possible to do something different every few years in terms of a job was reassuring to me. I have never heard anyone talk about preparing for an "accidental career," and it was very informative to learn about all the different ways you can present yourself as an ideal candidate for almost any kind of job.
The part of Dr. Egenreider's speech that resonated with me when he spoke about "doing the work that needs doing" was that it is important not to set our sights on one particular job or aspect of a career that we want to purse but to be open to opportunities we may not have thought about previously. Dr. Egenreider spoke about his unconventional career path and jobs that he obtained sole by being flexible about what he wanted to do, being open to learning new skills and asking questions. This translates perfectly to our PRIME internships because we are not in charge of the work that we do and we must do what is asked of us and be open to learning something that may be foreign to us now. This may lead us to a future internship, college major or even a career. In order to make the most out of our internships this summer we have to "do the work that needs doing" because that is where real life career experience lies and future opportunities can become possible.
The part of Dr. Egenreider’s talk on “doing the work that needs doing” that resonated most with me was that no work is bellow you and that you are not entitled to “better, more privileged” work. This is really important because you are working at your location to get experience in that field and you need to learn all the different parts of the business, from copying papers, to phone calls, community outreach and customer service and interaction. I have seen people refuse to do things before because they felt entitled, and because of this they were not given other privileges because the people running the organization did not feel the people had a good work ethic. I also liked the part about what we can get out of our internships. This includes skills working phone calls, working in public offices and meeting skills and behavior for my internship. One can also learn interpersonal interaction skills and teamwork.
Of Dr. Egenreider's many thought-provoking messages, what stood out most to me was the statement "don't overlook opportunities to learn something new". Often I feel I get stuck in my ways or think that I already know all that I need to know. I will try to take Dr. Egenreider's advice to my internship and try to gain new insight and experiences, even if I might superficially find them unimportant, there could be learning to be had from any experience.
Dr. Egenreider talked about something that I had been told many times in sports and at my house, that you always need to show up early. In softball, we always had the saying "If you're five minutes early you're on time, and if you're on time you're late". Also, in my family we often run on 'Lombardi time', which is fifteen minutes early. So it really drove home that to be successful, you must always be early, and I found it interesting just how relevant the things we learn in sports are to the real world. I think that having that mentality of being early helps you prepare for things that you may not see coming, wether that be traffic or striking up a conversation with someone. So the idea of being early really resonated with me.
When going into this program I was extremely stressed. The thought of having to choose one career choice to follow when there are so many to choose from was frightening. And the possibility of picking the wrong career choice. But, Dr. Egenreider demonstrated that if you go in with an open mind, any thing can happen and not to stress the little things. To not be disappointed about the little things and just think about the big picture and all the expirence your recieving. If you don't like the career you chose then at least you know and can work on figuring out your interests for a new one. So I will walk in to my internship with an open mind and enjoy the expierence.
Among the many key points of Dr. Egenrieders' speech, the part that resonated the most with me was bieng open to new opportunities. This will especially help me in my internship this summer because of what I will be learning. I aspire to be a director in the future, but to do that, I need to learn all he components of film making. That is why my internship is with the AETV. If I go into this internship with a lot of openness, I may find a specific niche in the film making world that I enjoy more than I thought. Nonetheless, openess to new opportunities is a key tool that will help me find success in my internship this summer.
I learned a lot from Dr. Egenreider's speech but something that resonated the most was when he talked about not overlooking opportunities to learn something new. I think that no one person should be so focused on one thing they should expand their abilities and try new things. During my internship I want to learn a little more of different medical careers and not only focus on a career in Pediatrics. I believe I will learn a lot more if I stay open minded.
What most resonated with me about Dr.Egenreider's speech is when he mentioned that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. I find that I learn a lot from mistakes, maybe even more than when I don't make mistakes. Because of this, I have learned not to be afraid of making mistakes. As a result, during my internship I will approach my job knowing that I will be making mistakes but at the same time learning so much more about skills that are my strengths and weaknesses.
I think the part that I took away was that one should not stand idly by and watch things happening or not happening that one could easily change for the better. I will keep this in mind when I am at the internship when I see something that is wrong. I won't simply let it slip by. Instead I will work to make it better.
What resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was the idea not to overlook opportunities to do and learn new things. In the past I have quickly discarded numerous opportunities simply do to laziness or because it was something that I wasn't particularly familiar or comfortable with. Dr. Egenreider talked about how one should keep an open mind to new and different opportunities as they arise because as he described through his life story, some opportunities can bring more learning and experience than expected. During my PRIME internship, I will apply this by taking best advantage of the opportunity of the internship itself by utilizing and keeping an open mind to the various opportunities within it. For example, talking to and asking questions of the various coworkers to gain knowledge from experienced employees, and using the resource of the various connections the employees and the company have to other outside people that could be learned from through the program.
What resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was when someone needs something done, do it, no matter the task. This particularly spoke to me because it is the same advice that my parent's give me. Whether I was volunteering at the library or even helping out a teacher, they would tell me to do the work that needs to be done. It leaves a good impression on people and helps build a good work ethic. I will apply this in my internship by keeping an open mind during the whole experience and offering to help whenever I can.
What spoke to me most was that I should not fight with myself about if I should take an opportunity or not. I need to drop my concerns and just allow myself to try something new. I realized that there is a lot that I can learn by exposing myself to as many things as possible. Even if one opportunity was not something that I wanted, it could lead me to something else that I might like. I will apply this to my internship by exploring as many departments in the clinic as I can because even if one job at the clinic was not what I expected, it can still lead me to something that I enjoy and would want as a career path.
What I took away from the speech was that I may have no idea what I will end up doing in life. I often find that my decisions are based around following a certain path or getting to a certain place down the road, whether it be when selecting classes or chooses extracurriculars. I have to remind myself that I'm only sixteen and don't need to have my entire career planned out now. As Dr. Egenreider said, sometimes we find "accidental careers" that are completely different from anything we've ever thought of doing. This is why I think it's important to keep an open mind, because I don't really know when I'm going to find what I really want to do. Keeping this in mind during my internship will help me to try more new things, and maybe discover something that I really enjoy doing.
Another thing I am pleased to see is the way that many of you have not only looked forward to your internships - as I asked you to do - but gone back into experiences you have already had in your classes or with your family or friends and drawn the whole thing together. Nice job!
What resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was that in doing work or having a job you hadn't planned for or expected, you might discover something about yourself, uncover your true passions and create lasting relationships. This will help me as a prime intern because I can try new things, branch out into different departments, and find something that might lead me to a new career path.
My understanding from Dr. Egnereider's speach "Doing the work that needs to be doing" was that when an opportunity arises take it. I'm never going to know exactly what will happen to me in life; nothing is planned or expected, just hoped for. But with every experience I get closer and closer to discover what and who I want to be. Through the prime internship this mind set will allow me to have an open minded response to different situations that occur allowing me to develop my own approaches and possibly lead me to down the path I want.
The part of Dr. Egnereider's speech that resonated with me most was greeting people with "nice to see you" instead of "nice to meet you". I think that this is really important because it ensures that every new encounter starts off on the right foot. If you don't remember meeting someone previously, but say "nice to see you" that person doesn't feel forgotten or unvalued. They feel valued and important that you remembered them, leading to a more positive relationship. Saying "nice to see you" is also important. This simple phrase starts the encounter off with a personal remark, showing the other person that they are valued, and that you are looking forward to building a positive relationship with them.
There were a few messages from Mr. Egnereider's speech that resonated with me. One was to not overlook opportunities to learn something new. It never hurts to learn a new skill and will only expand the list of actions and activities you are capable of carrying out, even if you don't use them too often. Another was "a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess." This message stood out to me because it shows the value of continuing on even when you make an error and do something incorrectly. It also highlights the value in learning from your mistakes and that mistakes are there just to make you better the next time you try doing something. Finally, I thought his idea about how it is important to pick a job you actually enjoy was really important. I feel like I hear this often, but the way he also incorporated his personal stories of trying new things and enjoying the activities he took part in really demonstrated to me the purpose of picking a job you love. I will use this advice during my internship by really seeing if I enjoy the work I am doing and can see myself doing it as a career as well as being open to learning new things and learning from any mistakes I might make.
When Dr. Egnereider spoke about doing the work that needs doing, it struck a chord with me. For each of the past four summers (including last week), I have spent a week with my church doing mission work. Every time I go out, whether it be to stand in a line and hand out food, put lunch meat on bread to help feed hungry people, uproot prickly weeds from an abandoned parking lot, or even just sit and watch kids at a day camp so their parents can work, I see that even the smallest of actions can have a big impact. Dr. Egnereider said that all the work you do has a purpose, so even if you feel overqualified, do whatever you can to be useful. He was right - no matter how small a task, it needs to be done by someone. And if you can get it done without needing someone to push you into doing it, you are showing the people you work with that you are a team player and a thoughtful employee. Looking forward, this is an important skill for an internship because many of the places we are working this summer have a lot of work to get done and a lot of people rushing to do it. By doing things without needing to be explicitly directed to, we can be self starters, and can make the most of the opportunities our internships provide.
Dr. Egnereider showed me that the path to retirement isn't, and shouldn't be a straight line. You should follow things that are new and exciting to you, not be contempt with the life you are all ready living. The reason that this particular theme stuck with me is because that has always been my idea of an exciting adulthood. Bouncing around from career to career, having fun and really enjoying your work. Once I started to hit middle school, and on into highschool, it felt like adults were trying to box me in by asking what career path I wanted to take. Dr. Egnereider's presentation made me feel like its okay to not know, and that its perfectly within your realm to change and do something more worthwhile with your time.
What resonated to me most in Dr. Egnereider's speech is one of his messages about discouraging the disregard for opportunities in which we can learn. It urges me to take advantage of every chance I get to discover or learn something new, primarily because I may never have the same opportunity arise again. Due to my timid personality, I constantly hesitate to ask questions, which is crucial to learning. During my internship, I will be sure to be as involved as I can possibly be and ask an ample amount of questions to make sure I've learned something. Dr. Egnereider provided the encouragement I needed to make sure I take this opportunity to learn seriously.
I think the part of Dr. Egnereider's speech that resonated the most with me was that it is ok to not be sure about what you want to pursue as a career. It was really nice to hear from someone who is successful, that they had the same thought process as you. It was very reassuring to know that you aren't really supposed to have your entire life mapped out as a teenager. I often get very stressed out because I see my peers feeling confident in what they want to study, and know exactly what they want to pursue as a career, meanwhile I am still feeling very uncertain. What I took away from Dr. Egnereider's speech was that you learn the most by trying several things out, and that you might not know what you are passionate about until you go through a lot of other things first. This information will be very beneficial to me during my internship, because I will be reminded to keep an open mind about possibly pursuing this as a career later in life.
The part of Dr. Egenreider's speech that was most important to me was about always taking the opportunity to learn something new. At my internship, I will be working in a large IT department. This will give me the opportunity to meet many people with different skills. After meeting with my mentor, I realized I knew almost nothing about the jobs I would be doing. I will appreciate anything I learn along the way, as it could lead to a career path. I had not previously considered IT as a career but I will be excited to learn about some of the opportunities this important field has to offer.
What most resonated with me about Dr.Egenreider's speech is when he mentioned that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. I find that I learn a lot from mistakes, maybe even more than when I don't make mistakes. Because of this, I have learned not to be afraid of making mistakes. As a result, during my internship I will approach my job knowing that I will be making mistakes but at the same time learning so much more about skills that are my strengths and weaknesses.
To me, Dr. Egenreider's point "interesting people are interested" was one of the most important points because it stressed the importance of keeping an open mind. If I only focus on the career I chose and the things I already know, I may miss out on other amazing opportunities, therefore, I will pay attention to all the different positions at my internship, maybe I'll discover a new interesting career. Keeping an open mind and staying interested will bring forth new opportunities and experiences, which is something I want because what is summer without new exciting experiences? Even before everything starts, I know that my internship will be an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life so I am looking forward to it with an open mind in hopes of making the experience even more special.
Among the many important points that Dr. Egenreider made in his talk about "doing the work that needs doing," the part that resonated most with me was that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. In all experiences in life, including work, it is okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from them and correct them in the future. As an intern this summer, I will use this advice to ask many questions and correct any mistakes I make.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I felt that what Dr. Egenreider said about how no matter what your role is, you should still do something that needs to be done was a really important lesson to be learned. Often times, especially as an inexperienced intern, I can see many people feeling unqualified to do a certain job or task, but from what Dr. Egenreider talked about, trying and failing is better than not trying at all. Taking initiative and being genuinely interested in learning how to complete a task will be very important during my internship, and I will most definitely try to implement this mentality during the summer. As Dr. Egenreider also said, "Chance favors the prepared mind"; by being open to making mistakes and doing all that I can, I believe I will be able to make the most of my internship and learn all that I can.
ReplyDeleteThe most important part for me during Dr. Egenreider speech was when he talked about doing whatever work has to be done and not thinking of yourself as above it. Especially as an intern, doing whatever you are told to do would probably be a good idea. As an intern this summer I will embrace this idea and mentality and put it to use.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egenreider's talk that resonated the most with me was that he was determined to follow a certain career goal, but found different interests within. I think as a young, influential teen it is important to keep an open mind which is a topic that Dr. Egenreider stressed in his speech. I know that interning is not always what everyone expects it to be, maybe they are let down or maybe it is more exciting than they predicted. On my first day, I will keep an clear mind about the career I have chosen to follow for the summer and be open to new opportunities.
ReplyDeleteCuriosity and openness is a main part of Dr. Egenreider's talk that resonated me the most by far. He really showed me that if you're willing to do whatever and ask questions, people will see that you're really open to anything and everything, which is an amazing trait to have. Also, to not know what exactly you want to do is okay; to have a broad spectrum of a certain subject/career will bring a conversation and that's your opportunity to create more contacts for future uses. What I got out of all of this is that if you're friendly and curious, most people will enjoy to talk to you and if you're very attentive and ask more questions, then they'll see how much potential you have. Most importantly, this internship will really answer a lot of questions to all of us, mostly all about our career and whether or not we will continue to strive for this major. All in all, this internship will show us the world if we do all the right things and open a whole new connection of people.
ReplyDeleteWhen I listened to Dr. Egenreider's talk I was struck by his advice on finding opportunities. His story about a friend of his who made hundreds of thousands of dollars from videos was very interesting to me. He said that his friend accepted an invitation to go fishing with some acquaintances at an event. While they were fishing, Dr.Egenreider's friend was offered an opportunity to have his new friends sell videos that he made about driving buses. He was told that for the first 1000 sold he would receive a dollar per sale and once he made it to 2000 he would receive two dollars per sale. However the sales for this video far exceeded the expectations that were set during the initial agreement, as Dr. Egenreider's friend made hundreds of thousands of dollars off of this business arrangement. The moral of this story is "consider taking whatever opportunities are offered to you, they could pay off in unexpectedly beneficial ways." I will keep this valuable lesson in mind this summer during my internship.
ReplyDeleteDr. Egenreider left me in awe, his story resonated with me by the numerous things he has done in his life. I've always been centered and determined on one thing but life is full of changes and what I understood from the presentation was to be ready for anything, keep an opened mind, and take every opportunity that comes my way. As Dr. Egenreider said, "Don't overlook opportunities to learn something new." This internship is a start to the countless opportunities we seek and it is up to us to make the most out of it.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egenrieder’s talk that resonated most with me was we should always accept new opportunities. Even if the job or internship is not what we had in mind, we can always learn something valuable from that experience. I have learned that gaining as much experience as possible can only help us, not hurt us. We will be able to determine what careers we want to (and do not want to) pursue. As an intern, I will work to gain a lot of experience in the career I have chosen and I will always be open to new opportunities.
ReplyDeleteThe thing that stuck with me is to be open minded. The career that I have been assigned was not my first choice, however after the interview I was exited to be a part of prime anyhow. If I maintain an open mind, I will learn a lot more, than if I keep a closed mind. During the speech, I was surprised at how many jobs he has had. The reason that he had so many jobs was that he didn't feel like 1 career was the career for him. Keeping an open mind allowed him to amass degrees and certifications that he never would have received otherwise. During the internship I will have to remember to be open minded.
ReplyDeleteI am delighted to read so many thoughtful responses. If you apply these ideas to your internships and the field trips, you will have an amazing PRIME experience!
ReplyDeleteDr. Egenreider brought up many good points; the one that stuck with me most is when he talked about doing the work that needs to be done. Sometimes in school, or on a team, it is important for each person to do their assigned work. However, if one person fails to do what they were expected to do, the rest of the team has to pick up their slack and make sure the whole job gets done. When in the workplace, you are on a team. If something needs to be done, no matter what the task is, you should be open and willing to work as a fair teammate. You should be ready to cover for other teammates and accomplish what needs to be done. I hope to put this into practice during my internship! I am looking forward to all of the new experiences this internship will bring.
ReplyDeleteOf all the great points that Dr. Egenreider discussed, the one that most resonated with me was "don't overlook opportunities to learn something new." This internship is all about exploring careers and your future, and making discoveries both about yourself and what you are interested in pursuing. It is of the upmost importance to keep an open mind and look out for things that you haven't done before, and then do them. You never know if you'll enjoy something unless you actually try it. This summer, I will be looking for these opportunities to discover and explore new and exciting things during my internship. I am really looking forward to it!
ReplyDeleteI think it was really interesting how Mr. Egenrieder had so many different talents and interests and that he was able to channel them into many different careers. I particularly related to this because I, too, have a wide variety of interests and activities I want to try out, so the fact that it is possible to do something different every few years in terms of a job was reassuring to me. I have never heard anyone talk about preparing for an "accidental career," and it was very informative to learn about all the different ways you can present yourself as an ideal candidate for almost any kind of job.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egenreider's speech that resonated with me when he spoke about "doing the work that needs doing" was that it is important not to set our sights on one particular job or aspect of a career that we want to purse but to be open to opportunities we may not have thought about previously. Dr. Egenreider spoke about his unconventional career path and jobs that he obtained sole by being flexible about what he wanted to do, being open to learning new skills and asking questions. This translates perfectly to our PRIME internships because we are not in charge of the work that we do and we must do what is asked of us and be open to learning something that may be foreign to us now. This may lead us to a future internship, college major or even a career. In order to make the most out of our internships this summer we have to "do the work that needs doing" because that is where real life career experience lies and future opportunities can become possible.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egenreider’s talk on “doing the work that needs doing” that resonated most with me was that no work is bellow you and that you are not entitled to “better, more privileged” work. This is really important because you are working at your location to get experience in that field and you need to learn all the different parts of the business, from copying papers, to phone calls, community outreach and customer service and interaction. I have seen people refuse to do things before because they felt entitled, and because of this they were not given other privileges because the people running the organization did not feel the people had a good work ethic. I also liked the part about what we can get out of our internships. This includes skills working phone calls, working in public offices and meeting skills and behavior for my internship. One can also learn interpersonal interaction skills and teamwork.
ReplyDeleteOf Dr. Egenreider's many thought-provoking messages, what stood out most to me was the statement "don't overlook opportunities to learn something new". Often I feel I get stuck in my ways or think that I already know all that I need to know. I will try to take Dr. Egenreider's advice to my internship and try to gain new insight and experiences, even if I might superficially find them unimportant, there could be learning to be had from any experience.
ReplyDeleteDr. Egenreider talked about something that I had been told many times in sports and at my house, that you always need to show up early. In softball, we always had the saying "If you're five minutes early you're on time, and if you're on time you're late". Also, in my family we often run on 'Lombardi time', which is fifteen minutes early. So it really drove home that to be successful, you must always be early, and I found it interesting just how relevant the things we learn in sports are to the real world. I think that having that mentality of being early helps you prepare for things that you may not see coming, wether that be traffic or striking up a conversation with someone. So the idea of being early really resonated with me.
ReplyDeleteWhen going into this program I was extremely stressed. The thought of having to choose one career choice to follow when there are so many to choose from was frightening. And the possibility of picking the wrong career choice. But, Dr. Egenreider demonstrated that if you go in with an open mind, any thing can happen and not to stress the little things. To not be disappointed about the little things and just think about the big picture and all the expirence your recieving. If you don't like the career you chose then at least you know and can work on figuring out your interests for a new one. So I will walk in to my internship with an open mind and enjoy the expierence.
ReplyDeleteAmong the many key points of Dr. Egenrieders' speech, the part that resonated the most with me was bieng open to new opportunities. This will especially help me in my internship this summer because of what I will be learning. I aspire to be a director in the future, but to do that, I need to learn all he components of film making. That is why my internship is with the AETV. If I go into this internship with a lot of openness, I may find a specific niche in the film making world that I enjoy more than I thought. Nonetheless, openess to new opportunities is a key tool that will help me find success in my internship this summer.
ReplyDeleteI learned a lot from Dr. Egenreider's speech but something that resonated the most was when he talked about not overlooking opportunities to learn something new. I think that no one person should be so focused on one thing they should expand their abilities and try new things. During my internship I want to learn a little more of different medical careers and not only focus on a career in Pediatrics. I believe I will learn a lot more if I stay open minded.
ReplyDeleteWhat most resonated with me about Dr.Egenreider's speech is when he mentioned that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. I find that I learn a lot from mistakes, maybe even more than when I don't make mistakes. Because of this, I have learned not to be afraid of making mistakes. As a result, during my internship I will approach my job knowing that I will be making mistakes but at the same time learning so much more about skills that are my strengths and weaknesses.
ReplyDeleteI think the part that I took away was that one should not stand idly by and watch things happening or not happening that one could easily change for the better. I will keep this in mind when I am at the internship when I see something that is wrong. I won't simply let it slip by. Instead I will work to make it better.
ReplyDeleteWhat resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was the idea not to overlook opportunities to do and learn new things. In the past I have quickly discarded numerous opportunities simply do to laziness or because it was something that I wasn't particularly familiar or comfortable with. Dr. Egenreider talked about how one should keep an open mind to new and different opportunities as they arise because as he described through his life story, some opportunities can bring more learning and experience than expected. During my PRIME internship, I will apply this by taking best advantage of the opportunity of the internship itself by utilizing and keeping an open mind to the various opportunities within it. For example, talking to and asking questions of the various coworkers to gain knowledge from experienced employees, and using the resource of the various connections the employees and the company have to other outside people that could be learned from through the program.
ReplyDeleteWhat resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was when someone needs something done, do it, no matter the task. This particularly spoke to me because it is the same advice that my parent's give me. Whether I was volunteering at the library or even helping out a teacher, they would tell me to do the work that needs to be done. It leaves a good impression on people and helps build a good work ethic. I will apply this in my internship by keeping an open mind during the whole experience and offering to help whenever I can.
ReplyDeleteWhat spoke to me most was that I should not fight with myself about if I should take an opportunity or not. I need to drop my concerns and just allow myself to try something new. I realized that there is a lot that I can learn by exposing myself to as many things as possible. Even if one opportunity was not something that I wanted, it could lead me to something else that I might like. I will apply this to my internship by exploring as many departments in the clinic as I can because even if one job at the clinic was not what I expected, it can still lead me to something that I enjoy and would want as a career path.
ReplyDeleteWhat I took away from the speech was that I may have no idea what I will end up doing in life. I often find that my decisions are based around following a certain path or getting to a certain place down the road, whether it be when selecting classes or chooses extracurriculars. I have to remind myself that I'm only sixteen and don't need to have my entire career planned out now. As Dr. Egenreider said, sometimes we find "accidental careers" that are completely different from anything we've ever thought of doing. This is why I think it's important to keep an open mind, because I don't really know when I'm going to find what I really want to do. Keeping this in mind during my internship will help me to try more new things, and maybe discover something that I really enjoy doing.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I am pleased to see is the way that many of you have not only looked forward to your internships - as I asked you to do - but gone back into experiences you have already had in your classes or with your family or friends and drawn the whole thing together. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteWhat resonated most with me in Dr. Egenreider's "doing the work that needs doing" speech was that in doing work or having a job you hadn't planned for or expected, you might discover something about yourself, uncover your true passions and create lasting relationships. This will help me as a prime intern because I can try new things, branch out into different departments, and find something that might lead me to a new career path.
ReplyDeleteMy understanding from Dr. Egnereider's speach "Doing the work that needs to be doing" was that when an opportunity arises take it. I'm never going to know exactly what will happen to me in life; nothing is planned or expected, just hoped for. But with every experience I get closer and closer to discover what and who I want to be. Through the prime internship this mind set will allow me to have an open minded response to different situations that occur allowing me to develop my own approaches and possibly lead me to down the path I want.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egnereider's speech that resonated with me most was greeting people with "nice to see you" instead of "nice to meet you". I think that this is really important because it ensures that every new encounter starts off on the right foot. If you don't remember meeting someone previously, but say "nice to see you" that person doesn't feel forgotten or unvalued. They feel valued and important that you remembered them, leading to a more positive relationship. Saying "nice to see you" is also important. This simple phrase starts the encounter off with a personal remark, showing the other person that they are valued, and that you are looking forward to building a positive relationship with them.
ReplyDeleteThere were a few messages from Mr. Egnereider's speech that resonated with me. One was to not overlook opportunities to learn something new. It never hurts to learn a new skill and will only expand the list of actions and activities you are capable of carrying out, even if you don't use them too often. Another was "a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess." This message stood out to me because it shows the value of continuing on even when you make an error and do something incorrectly. It also highlights the value in learning from your mistakes and that mistakes are there just to make you better the next time you try doing something. Finally, I thought his idea about how it is important to pick a job you actually enjoy was really important. I feel like I hear this often, but the way he also incorporated his personal stories of trying new things and enjoying the activities he took part in really demonstrated to me the purpose of picking a job you love. I will use this advice during my internship by really seeing if I enjoy the work I am doing and can see myself doing it as a career as well as being open to learning new things and learning from any mistakes I might make.
ReplyDeleteWhen Dr. Egnereider spoke about doing the work that needs doing, it struck a chord with me. For each of the past four summers (including last week), I have spent a week with my church doing mission work. Every time I go out, whether it be to stand in a line and hand out food, put lunch meat on bread to help feed hungry people, uproot prickly weeds from an abandoned parking lot, or even just sit and watch kids at a day camp so their parents can work, I see that even the smallest of actions can have a big impact. Dr. Egnereider said that all the work you do has a purpose, so even if you feel overqualified, do whatever you can to be useful. He was right - no matter how small a task, it needs to be done by someone. And if you can get it done without needing someone to push you into doing it, you are showing the people you work with that you are a team player and a thoughtful employee. Looking forward, this is an important skill for an internship because many of the places we are working this summer have a lot of work to get done and a lot of people rushing to do it. By doing things without needing to be explicitly directed to, we can be self starters, and can make the most of the opportunities our internships provide.
ReplyDeleteDr. Egnereider showed me that the path to retirement isn't, and shouldn't be a straight line. You should follow things that are new and exciting to you, not be contempt with the life you are all ready living. The reason that this particular theme stuck with me is because that has always been my idea of an exciting adulthood. Bouncing around from career to career, having fun and really enjoying your work. Once I started to hit middle school, and on into highschool, it felt like adults were trying to box me in by asking what career path I wanted to take. Dr. Egnereider's presentation made me feel like its okay to not know, and that its perfectly within your realm to change and do something more worthwhile with your time.
ReplyDeleteWhat resonated to me most in Dr. Egnereider's speech is one of his messages about discouraging the disregard for opportunities in which we can learn. It urges me to take advantage of every chance I get to discover or learn something new, primarily because I may never have the same opportunity arise again. Due to my timid personality, I constantly hesitate to ask questions, which is crucial to learning. During my internship, I will be sure to be as involved as I can possibly be and ask an ample amount of questions to make sure I've learned something. Dr. Egnereider provided the encouragement I needed to make sure I take this opportunity to learn seriously.
ReplyDeleteI think the part of Dr. Egnereider's speech that resonated the most with me was that it is ok to not be sure about what you want to pursue as a career. It was really nice to hear from someone who is successful, that they had the same thought process as you. It was very reassuring to know that you aren't really supposed to have your entire life mapped out as a teenager. I often get very stressed out because I see my peers feeling confident in what they want to study, and know exactly what they want to pursue as a career, meanwhile I am still feeling very uncertain. What I took away from Dr. Egnereider's speech was that you learn the most by trying several things out, and that you might not know what you are passionate about until you go through a lot of other things first. This information will be very beneficial to me during my internship, because I will be reminded to keep an open mind about possibly pursuing this as a career later in life.
ReplyDeleteThe part of Dr. Egenreider's speech that was most important to me was about always taking the opportunity to learn something new. At my internship, I will be working in a large IT department. This will give me the opportunity to meet many people with different skills. After meeting with my mentor, I realized I knew almost nothing about the jobs I would be doing. I will appreciate anything I learn along the way, as it could lead to a career path. I had not previously considered IT as a career but I will be excited to learn about some of the opportunities this important field has to offer.
ReplyDeleteWhat most resonated with me about Dr.Egenreider's speech is when he mentioned that a mistake fixed is better than a lucky guess. I find that I learn a lot from mistakes, maybe even more than when I don't make mistakes. Because of this, I have learned not to be afraid of making mistakes. As a result, during my internship I will approach my job knowing that I will be making mistakes but at the same time learning so much more about skills that are my strengths and weaknesses.
ReplyDeleteTo me, Dr. Egenreider's point "interesting people are interested" was one of the most important points because it stressed the importance of keeping an open mind. If I only focus on the career I chose and the things I already know, I may miss out on other amazing opportunities, therefore, I will pay attention to all the different positions at my internship, maybe I'll discover a new interesting career. Keeping an open mind and staying interested will bring forth new opportunities and experiences, which is something I want because what is summer without new exciting experiences? Even before everything starts, I know that my internship will be an experience I will cherish for the rest of my life so I am looking forward to it with an open mind in hopes of making the experience even more special.
ReplyDelete