Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Group Day Reflections - July 19

Take a few minutes, please, to reflect on the time we spent at at Arlington National Cemetery yesterday. I hope that as we walked between the Women's Museum, the Kennedy Grave Site and the Tomb of the Unknowns, you were not just hiking; but were also observing your surroundings and making note of the many small, intimate memorials we passed. Which part of the morning was most meaningful to you? Think about that for a few minutes and then discuss your thoughts in a few sentences. (You do not need to respond to anyone else's comment, unless you feel compelled to do so.)

37 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the field trip yesterday to the Women's Museum and Arlington National Cemetery. I especially liked the Changing of the Guard Ceremony; this was a very cool thing to watch. It's hard to believe that the soldiers are constantly guarding the tomb in all weather at all times. Also, the WOmen's Museum was really significant to me. It is very important that we honor the women who have overcome challenges and served our country alongside men who are often recognized. It was neat to see all of the women recognized for all of the jobs in the military they have filled across the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In honest, I was not a fan of yesterdays fieldtrip. As the son of a 27 year active duty service member, I felt that the outing did not do proper justice to those who served. While seeing Kennedys grave site is a key monument in the cemetery, it was glazed over how many thousands upon thousands of everyday people (Including my own family members)whom were buried there. I also felt that the PRIME program was not the proper outlet to bring us to that site. PRIME has been represented to me as a program to introduce high school aged students to a business environment. I'm still trying to figure out how visiting the cemetery and the memorial relates to working in a office/professional environment,

    The most meaningful part of the day was leaving the group at lunch to visit my great grandfathers grave. I haven't had a chance to visit him in a couple of years, so it was nice that I got a chance to see him

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Cooper. While it was an interesting activity, I am not sure how that helped further our training in the workplace. Seeing the women's museum was cool and very informative, but I don't know see how it fits in with the other things we have been doing, both in a internship setting as well as in SDV 100. It seems like something you would do with a group of exchange students, not a group of students from the area who have either been there before or have easy access to it.

    For me, the most meaningful part of the day was hearing the women, who had her mom on the phone, in the museum when they looked the mother up in the database. It inspiring to see what it meant to her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found yesterday's field trip to the National Cemetery yesterday very interesting. I especially enjoyed seeing the Women's Museum, as I have never actually visited it before. It was amazing to see how far women had come in the military, and what an impact female individuals had on the military and on the world through their enlistment and heroic actions. It was truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, I think the trip to the National Cemetery was a good way to think about going into the military as a career option. While personally I likely will not join the military, seeing all of the different generations of women in all of the different branches of service made it clear that going into the military is a viable career option. As for the rest of the tour, I though that the changing of the flowers on the tomb of the unknown soldiers was very cool. After having seen the changing of the guard, I thought the ceremonies were over, but on the way into the honors guard museum, a ceremony began to freshen the flowers on the grave. I did not realize that they changed the flowers - knowing that the military thinks about it and takes care of every detail makes the gravesite seem more powerful to me. There is a whole group of people who take turns not only guarding over the grave, but making sure that it stays presentable. I found that touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although I've been once or twice already, I enjoyed the National Cemetery as well as the Women's Memorial. It was a little humid out, but the cemetery was beautiful to walk around in. Furthermore, the Women's Memorial was interesting and helped me further recognize the importance of women in the military. The most meaningful part of the morning was the Changing of the Guard Ceremony, which is always amazing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was great that we were able to be taken to the Nation Cemetery because I have lived in Arlington my entire life and I have never been to this well known historic location. I am grateful that the PRIME program let us have a day off from our internships even if it had no real impact on us. It was nice to have a break from the office and filing to enjoy the weather. I had a lot of fun going on the field trip to the Arlington National Cemetery, except for the cleaning woman that harassed me for stepping on her wet floors! The most meaningful part was walking up to the second floor on top of the Women's Museum, which happened to be outside. The view was memorable because it overlooked the entire cemetery and that is when it truly hit me how many people are really buried there .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed my time at the field trip because I lived right next to the cemetery for so long but I had never visited it until yesterday so it definitely contributed to my Arlingtonian identity. Although many have expressed their doubts about the purpose of the field trip, I agree with Lindsay in that the field trip gave an insight to military life, which is a reality for many people. Many kids either want to join the military or have family members in it so I think the field trip was significant in that sense. As for the most memorable part, I would have to say looking at all the stones and seeing each persons name, age and little message was both heart breaking and touching at the same time. I will definitely remember the millions who have sacrificed their lives for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful that we were able to go visit the National Cemetery and Women's Memorial. I've been the the cemetery once but I was unable to see any of those amazing locations. I really liked going. It was a beautiful day, a little hot, to visit. I thought it was so cool that the grave stones were in somewhat of a symmetrical line no matter what direction you were in. I think it's amazing that all those soldiers gave their lives so that we can live in the land of the free and home of the brave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought that the trip to the women's memorial was really interesting. It was really cool to learn about all the different ways women have contributed to the military and hear about their stories. I came away from the field trip with a greater appreciation for not just the military as a whole, but for everyone who serves in it. While the visit may not have furthered some people's career prospects, I think it was really important to visit for the sake of learning and understanding something that you might not have thought about before.

    For me, the most meaningful part of the visit was when we ran into the woman who had found her mother's profile at the museum. It was really touching to hear about her story, and the fact that her mother was on the other end of the phone made it that much more real. It was a perfect example of how members of the military carry their time in service with them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed watching the changing of the guard because while I have been to Arlington National Cemetery before, I have never seen that. It is such an important memorial and testament to soldiers that have given their lives to fight for our county.

    I enjoyed seeing the exhibits at the Women's Memorial, the art was creative and did a wonderful job honoring women in military service and the other exhibits were fascinating in terms of learning about women's roles in the military in history. However, I was not able to absorb the content of the exhibits quite as much as I wanted to because the tour guide did was a little too interested in pointing out that the women the exhibits honored were "pretty" or "blonde or weighed a certain amount. Being pretty is not an accomplishment and they are being honored for their dedicated and unselfish service to our country, which is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sure I enjoyed this day off the internship to go somewhere with PRIME, but I felt that the destination should have been different. As some people have already pointed out, a cemetery doesn't make the most sense for a field trip destination for PRIME. The point of PRIME and SDV 100 is to get us ready for college and get some experience in an actual company or business as an intern. The first trip to ESRI made sense because it relates to the main point of PRIME. The cemetery, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have anything to do with PRIME or SDV 100.

    But to put that all aside, I enjoyed the day out (even though it was a bit hot) and the Women's memorial was very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed visiting the Arlington Cemetery. Even though I have lived in Arlington my whole life, I realized I had never actually been inside the cemetery. It was interesting to see all of the various memorials across the cemetery. However, the part of the visit that had the biggest effect on me was walking past the lines of graves of less famous soldiers. Seeing the sheer number of people who have given their life for our freedom is incredible and instills a sense of pride in our country. As someone with family that was in the military, this trip definitely gave me a new look at what their lives were like. Overall, I enjoyed the visit (although, as Daniel said, it was very hot walking around in pants) and learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pleased that the field trip accomplished one of PRIME's main objectives: to engage you all in independent thought! I am also pleased that some of you did note two of the things I had hoped to point out but did not due to the logistics of our walk: the vast number of soldiers buried at Arlington and their many small memorials, and the wide variety of careers - not necessarily office-based - represented by the women in the memorial and open to all in the military. I do agree with Rachel that our guide devoted too much emphasis to the physical attributes of the women honored in the exhibits and wonder if she still reflects some of the bias of her generation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with many people that the Arlington National Cemetary did not make the most sense for a PRIME field trip. Nonetheless, the visit to the Arlington National Cemetary was meaningful to me. My dad has been in the navy for over 20 years, and it is hard for a lot of people to imagine the difficulty of living in a military family. However, it is even harder to imagine, and we so often forget, that many people die serving this country. The Cemetary serves as a reminder that the people buried there were real people, and many of them paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep us safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed the visit to Arlington cemetery. The part that resounded the most with me was the visit to the tomb of the unknown soldiers and the changing of the guards. I thought it was very meaningful that the guards consider it to be of the highest honor to protect the tomb. I also think it shows great compassion that the soldiers don't have name tags to show the allegiance to the unknown soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The visit to the Arlington National Cemetery was really interesting. Even though the weather didn't make as much fun at times, I really enjoyed seeing the changing of the guard and also the place we went to right after. I'm not exactly sure what it was called, but to see all the different medals and all the different artifacts we as Americans were given was something pretty cool that I noticed. To serve your country and to have achieved these certain medals seems pretty amazing to me and that's probably the highlight of this whole field trip to me. Not only did these people serve, but they also helped achieve certain symbolical pieces to their country which is going above and beyond to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was glad to have a day off from the internship and to be around people. But, like others, I found the field trip location strange. However, I did enjoy this field trip. It was shocking to see all the graves and realizing how many people die serving this country. The most meaningful part of the field trip to me was seeing how women gained status in the military and to see their roles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought that it was certainly inspiring to observe the changing of the guard ceremony. It was evident that this is a tradition that is taken very seriously. I also respect the thousands who died fighting for America. It was memorable seeing all of their graves. I don't think that it was a relevant location for a PRIME field trip however. I didn't learn anything new about career opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found the visit to Arlington Cemetery to be very interesting. I enjoyed seeing the Women's museum because I didn't know very much about the history of women in the military. I had never been to the Kennedy grave or the Tomb of the Unknowns before. I realize that the history is important, but it would have been more informative to see something related to current military careers and what directions people have taken with those careers today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Women's Memorial was very interesting, and I wish that I thought to see it earlier. It's very well thought out and really pay tribute to the women serving our country in the military. The view from the top was especially beautiful and had a good view of DC. It was very meaningful though to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the dedication of the soldiers guarding it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought the field trip to the Women's Memorial had a lot of meaning to it. I thought it was an insight for people who wanted to join the military, in a way of showing them the actions and jobs that many significant people in this case mostly women and what they did in the military. Nevertheless, I like history and the pictures and artifacts were engaging and it felt like I was going back in time with images passing in my head. I was really able to connect all that we saw with the history class I am taking this summer so that was pretty cool. Therefore for me the most significant part was the museum and the portrayal of the many graves just calls a lot of respect for the many brave men and women who gave their lives to protect this country.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Personally, I find ceremonies and rituals very interesting, so I thought the changing of the guard was fascinating. I would love to know more about how the ceremony itself came to be and what sort of preparation the guards do before they start the ritual. Also I would want to know what the guards think about when they are on duty. Are they thinking "Ok so now I walk and hold for 1... 2..3..."? Are they thinking about the actual unknown soldier? Are they essentially meditating?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The most meaningful portion of the trip to me was when we visited the museum and learned about the brave women. It was nice to see the paintings dedicated to them. It was also nice to know that the women's courageousness is being displayed in the museum. The museum made me admire those women for the hardships they went through to do what they did.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This was my first trip to Arlington National Cemetery. Although I do understand the importance and value of the sacrifices and work people in the military do for us, seeing the graves and tombstones allowed me to have a different thought-process when it came to understanding their work. The Women's Memorial was also a good experience to see the impact women have had in the military and their importance. The most memorable part for me was seeing the tombstones of soldiers who had died at very young ages because they gave their lives for their country or died while in service. Although I also, as people have touched on earlier, did not completely understand the connection between PRIME, SDV 100, and the field trip, it was still a good experience.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought the Women’s Memorial was the most significant part of the morning to me. There were so many women who served our country alongside men, but went often unrecognized. Seeing all of these women doing so many different jobs in the military was really inspiring. I loved hearing from the tour guide about a man who built a memorial for his daughter and came everyday to look at it and add more of her belongings. I am glad this memorial has given all of these women the recognition that they truly deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoyed the field trip to the cemetery especially because I have not been there in years. I was recently at a similar place in Canada so it was interesting to see the similarities and differences between the two locations. I think that it is important pay respects to our service men and women who have passed away protecting us and I was glad I was able to do so. With all that said many of the people and jobs that are offered at the cemetery are not ones that I would be interested in. However, I think it is good to see the contrast between some of the more tech jobs like at ESRI and the positions at the cemetery.
    The most meaningful part of the trip for me was meeting the woman who was entering her mother into the data base at the Women’s Memorial because it shows the importance of the memorial to all those women who have served.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought this field trip was something so beautiful. I, myself have never been there. I think my favorite part of the trip was seeing the changing of the guard. I have never seen that before and to see how precise their movement were really surprised me. I also enjoyed the little tour of the museum and seeing the important moments in women history. I really enjoyed the field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was extremely fascinated by the field trip. I had personally never visited the Arlington cemetery which is odd because both my parents are in the military. I was amazed by the vastness of the site and the honor and respect paid to all of the fallen militants. The changing of the guard was incredible was an incredible and new experience that I have never witnessed before. The coordination that goes into that as well as the discipline to stand there all day in the heat is astounding. I also liked the gallery of the Tomb of the Unknown. Prior to visiting, I didn't even know such a tomb existed and it was so interesting to see the extreme thought and respect that went into honoring the unknown soldiers as well as the stories that were behind them. Despite all of the walking in the hot sun, I thoroughly enjoyed the field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Although I was not able to attend the field trip, upon looking at the website for the Arlington National Cemetery I was very touched by the Tomb of the Unknowns. It is such a powerful monument that really makes you think about the sheer number of individuals who are unidentified in not just American wars, but in all wars. It really made me think about the purpose of wars and the residual effects that are caused by them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Working at the Women's Memorial has certainly been a great experience for me so far, and sharing its mission and its history with the rest of the Prime interns was fun. I was talking to the staff before the visit, and they were very excited to host this group; after, they complimented how well-mannered and engaged we were. Leading the group through the cemetery was a bit of a challenge for me because I had only walked the route once before, and I was worried I would steer everyone in the wrong direction. But, "fake it till you make it" as they always say--which we did! I thought it was very touching how we got to hear the phone call between the daughter and her mother, a servicewoman. That was a great surprise for the group, and it certainly illustrates the importance of the Women's Memorial to servicewomen and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Although I was unable to attend, I have visited the cemetery before. I can even see it from my work. When I went, I laid out wreaths for all the soldiers who were buried there. As you go row by row and try to get a wreath for each individual, you realize just how many people have died for this country because you're progressing so slowly. When you read their gravestones, you think back and wonder what their lives were like. They had lovers, friends, and parents. I think that the normal graves had the most impact on me because I realized how there and rows and rows of people who have tried to make this country better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What I really found most impressive about the trip to Arlington National Cemetery was the changing of the guards ceremony. I found it impressive how they all must have practiced a tremendous amount to be able to able to do that in complete unison. It shows great discipline and focus, two things that I personally strive to improve on, so I found there display encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The architectural structure of the memorial for the unknowns was quite amazing. The way it was built and presented I felt created a worthy memorial for those who lost their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Most meaningful part of the trip was passing by the tomb of the unknown soldier. It was meaningful because of the respect and unity given to the tomb despite that people had different opinions about it's worth. I felt more appreciative of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  36. The most meaningful part of the trip to me was the changing of the guard. I think it really shows that despite being unknown, the unknown solider is still given the respect he deservs. I think that this ceremony is also really important to the families of the unknown solider, as it shows them that their loved ones are not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I thought the words inscribed on the Kennedy monument were the most meaningful things of the trip. I have been to the cemetery often before but I just now noticed that Kennedy's famous speech was written at his gravesite. I thought those words were very memorable and stirring and a good memorial to the president.

    ReplyDelete