Saturday, July 23, 2016

Think About It - week 3

To respond to this week's post, try to pay conscious attention to the corporate culture at your internship for a day or two. Corporate culture refers to the "personality" of an organization. It defines "how things are done around here." Corporate culture guides the way employees think, act, and feel at work. A good fit between an employee and the culture of his or her workplace almost guarantees success and happiness, and - one could argue - may make the difference between a job and a career. 

Please read the short  article entitled "Uncovering a Company's Corporate Culture" at http://www.quintcareers.com/employer_corporate_culture.html


The author argues that companies can deliberately build a culture that will attract the type of employees they want and help their organizations survive and grow.  At the end of the article, he gives links to some companies that brag about their employee-friendly cultures.  He and other authors I've read maintain that when interviewing for a job, the culture of the workplace is one of the most important things to notice. 

Choose two or three of the components of culture mentioned by Mr. Hansen and describe your internship's culture in these areas.  Then talk about how this culture fits with what you would look for in a work environment.  All else being equal (in other words, if the work were the kind of work you wanted to do), is this the place for you?

95 comments:

  1. The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting.-

    The hours we work in my internship depend on the number of patients. We work with patients until 5pm max and then we usually have to stay for an hour to 2 hours to clean and finish up anything that needs to be done.

    The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between.-

    The work environment at my internship was hostile but not because of the patients just because of the doctor. All the employees interacted great with each other, we really built a strong connection with each other except with the doctor. The degree of competition was not high in my opinion in my internship but in the career of medicine in general it is enormously high.

    The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days.-

    The dress code at my internship was either dress clothes for the interns or scrubs. There were no casual days which is expected at a doctors office.

    The culture that fits me would be a workplace where the hours are intense, long and unexpected. The work environment would be competitive where I would always have to keep working harder and keep improving but at the same time have fun with what I do. The dress code would be scrubs because it would suck to have blood all over nice clothes. The office space I'd like would be the whole hospital, having to run to save my patients in the ER floor and perform surgeries in the operating rooms. The training skills would never end, I would have to consistently learn better techniques for my job or for any future jobs related to my field. Any onsite perks I'd like would be those rooms with beds to sleep at the hospital between shifts when you're on call. The amount of outside interaction would be huge when first learning so we can all help each other but as time passes I expect an occasional coffee outing with a fellow coworker, employer or employee. In regards to whether if the place I interned were my field of interest would i like it's culture, I would say NO because it is a place of disrespect and of intolerable actions. If it were not for my fellow coworkers I would not have been able to make it without any serious confrontation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The culture that fits you sounds very interesting but also very stressful. With the career you want to pursue it is indeed expected to work long draining hours. I hope you get to work in a positive, fun environment in the future and that you enjoy what you do. I think you have a lot of positive goals set for yourself and I honestly hope you achieve all of them and more!

      Delete
    2. That's too bad that you do not like working at your internship site. I am glad that you befriended your coworkers to help you have a good experience. I agree with Karely that the culture seems very stressful. But you seem to be okay with that and I hope you get to work at your ideal workplace someday!

      Delete
    3. From what I can see, you are a very hard-working, dedicated intern! Although I don't personally know your boss, I can see how he/she may be intimidating and maybe even at times unpleasant. He/she must have a lot of work to tackle and probably is under a lot of stress as well. However, it is a great thing that you have found solace in your coworkers, and I hope you continue to develop those relationships. Good luck with this last week of work!

      Delete
    4. I love you're dress code that you have over there! Also, it's good how you have a basic idea of how things work and you being prepared for something like being in the medical field and to be getting a feel for the environment (like coworkers) is really nice in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. The training and skills development you receive, which you need both on the job and to keep yourself marketable for future jobs and employers.
    To be a teacher you need to be good with kids. Also it's a hard thing to do becuase you can understand something but then you have to be able to explain it in a way that someone else will understand which is not always easy. You have to be able to get along with parents, students, and other teachers which means you have to be pretty friendly and able to react in an appropriate way.
    The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days.
    To be a teacher it's mostly business casual so no shorts but everything else, as long as it looks presentable and professional, you can wear.
    The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting.
    My mentor explained that the hours are pretty flexible. He works about six or seven hours a day usually arriving an hour before class starts and leaving an hour after it ends, depending on how much work he has to do. So he works around 35 hours a week give or take. Commuting is not a problem as long as you live near the school you are teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Chloe, teaching seems to be set apart from a lot of other careers in terms of work environment. The hours, unlike in most careers, cater to the hours of the the school you teach at and the amount of breaks the students get, so the hours can vary pretty significantly. From what you said, you seem to enjoy this as well as the social spectrum between the kids, the teachers, and the parents. Good luck on your last week!

      Delete
    2. Teaching sounds like a great career if you are not one for strict schedules. Its nice that teachers are able to create their own lessons and choose how they teach them. It also sounds like teaching would be great for anybody who has strong communication skills. I hope you are enjoying it, and hope all continues to go well in the next few days!

      Delete
    3. Teaching sounds like a very interesting job - the hours and dress code seem relaxed but the work itself seems stressful. Being responsible for the education of young people almost means being responsible for their future.

      Delete
  3. "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."

    The dress code at my internship is not very strict on being in uniform with the volunteers. The only portion of our dress code that is stressed is the white-collared shirt which is worn under our red jackets, vests, or aprons. There a many options of what to wear over the white-collared shirt and business casual pants are required but I've seen many volunteers where jeans and they are not told to refrain from wearing them. So, it really is not too strict.

    "The office space you get, including things such as cubicles, window offices, and rules regarding display of personal items."

    The volunteer office has two desks for the volunteers to sit at and we are not permitted to personalize those desks since they are not our personal desks. We are not assigned personal areas, we sit wherever there is a seat available.

    With my preferences of the culture in a work place, I would like to have different uniforms for different categories of workers so that it is easy to differentiate my close coworkers with others who work in the same building. However, if I practice privately in my field of interest, I'd like to uphold a uniform for myself that I could wear over casual clothing. As for space, I would like personalizing our areas to be acceptable.

    I would not really enjoy the culture of my workplace due to the dress code not being enforced, but everything else, such as how everyone is friendly and close with one another, is nice. So I the only thing that would draw me away is the dress code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really good that you enjoy the environment. Even though dress code and comfort is definitely somehting I would also take into consideration when choosing a job, its fortunate that everyone is friendly and close with one another.

      Delete
    2. That's too bad that you can't personalize your desks! But maybe the long term employees get to? I am glad the work environment is friendly and to your liking, I hope you find a place in the future similar to this one but with a more enforced dress code.

      Delete
    3. yea, it does suck you cant make your office space your own. I know ive brought in a few little things to leave at my desk.

      Delete
  4. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."

    At Rader Clinic the hours are rigidly set, the schedule is not very flexible. I have heard from employees that it can be difficult to get time off, since there is a thorough process to do so.

    "The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between."

    In general, the work environment is pretty fun and relaxed at Rader Clinic. It varied a little depending on where in the Clinic I was. It was most fun in physical therapy, where everyone was always joking around with each other and having a good time. It was a nice work environment in the Pharmacy and in the Pathology Lab as well. I never once got the impression that anyone was hostile to others.

    If I had a real job at Rader Clinic I think I would enjoy it. I like a fun work environment. I think that I would want there to be a little bit more flexibility with the weekly hours. Overall I think that it would work well for me, it just wouldn't be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your internship sounds like a lot of fun! It's nice that the work environment is relaxed and people get along really well. Especially in positions where you are seeing patients getting time off can be hard because they have to let them know weeks in advance. No job is ever perfect, but your internship sounds like a pretty good fit.

      Delete
    2. Although strict hours seem to make for a stricter environment, a good routine is always good. In my internship the hours are very flexible which can lead to some unnecessary scheduling issues. Its awesome that the work environment is relaxed and fun, that always seems to make for better productivity. Its great that you can see this as a possible career, and its ok that its not perfect, because thats kind of hard to find. Good luck on your last week!

      Delete
    3. Your internship sounds very interesting, especially since you are able to explore and interact with different fields within the clinic. I think that flexibility with hours and vacation time is very important as well.

      Delete
    4. While it must be difficult not to have easy access to time off, the rest of the environment sounds great. Being able to work in different sections and fields seems fun, and the work environment sounds like a very happy place.

      Delete
    5. While it must be difficult not to have easy access to time off, the rest of the environment sounds great. Being able to work in different sections and fields seems fun, and the work environment sounds like a very happy place.

      Delete
  5. “Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more.”

    Workers at the United States Patent and Trademark Office have access to a daycare facility, fitness center, transportation to metro stations and to other USPTO buildings, and a cafeteria with really good food. They are also a few steps away from a Dunkin’ Donuts, Potbelly, and 7/11.

    “The training and skills development you receive, which you need both on the job and to keep yourself marketable for future jobs and employers.”

    Training is a required part of employment for every USPTO employee. The training programs are tailored to each employment role. There are many training opportunities available to employees. As an intern, I have gone through SharePoint training and I will receive Tableau training this week.

    “The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting.”

    At USPTO, employees can come as early as 5:30 am and as late as 11:30 am. New employees have two options when choosing their work schedules. One option is called the 4/10 plan, where they can work 10 hours four days a week, with two days off each pay period. The other option is the 5/4/9 plan, where they can work eight nine-hour days, plus one eight-hour day, with one day off during each pay period. After an employee works for 6 months, they can telecommute.


    I can’t think of a reason not to like the environment at PTO. It has everything I want at a workplace. It has flexible hours, telecommuting, business casual dress code, fitness center, WiFi, free transportation, good food, and a beautiful campus (especially at night). PTO really is the ideal workplace for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your internship is a great fit for you! I think the hour options are really interesting because the "normal" work day people assume is a 8 hour day 5 days a week. All the perks of offered to employees at your internship are also a nice bonus.

      Delete
    2. That's so great that you have found an internship that you enjoy! It's also awesome that you've found the ideal workspace for you now. It will really help finding jobs in the future.

      Delete
    3. It sounds like you have a really great work environment at PTO. It is cool that there are so many options for the hours that an employee can work, the kind of flexibility can be hard to find in many jobs.

      Delete
  6. “The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting”
    The hours at my internship are 7 to 3:30 everyday unless there are meetings or trainings after normal business hours. For instance, there was a training session one evening so people who were working it were allowed to go home early or come in late. Also this year the employees at my office are going to have to do 4 hours of paid community outreach on weekends. They are using this to try and get help and volunteers at an event this October.

    “The office space you get, including things such as cubicles, window offices, and rules regarding display of personal items”
    The office where I work is mostly cubicles. My desk does not have any windows but my mentor does. There are also meeting rooms that have windows as well. In the building there is also a lab and different wings for different programs that includes a dental suite and medical areas with reception areas and patient rooms. People can have pictures and anything else they want in their area as long as personal files of patients are properly put away. Any patient files handled need to be handled so that there are no HIPAA violations.

    “How do people from different departments interact?”
    The office space I am in has people from multiple different departments. There are also other floors and two other buildings with professionals that I have interacted with. We also interact with other Arlington County office locations. Often times we work on projects with other departments from throughout the county and will go to different locations and offices to have meetings. We also interact through email.

    In the long run I probably could not have a job like my internship because I would have a hard time being at a desk all day. I want to be able to do prep and research at a desk and then be able to interact and help patients. For a work environment for me I would want to work in a place that had natural light and where the coworkers got along really well and were friends. Also I would want to be able to learn new things and techniques to make me better at my job than I was when I started. I think that a job where I could learn new things and using new scientific research would be really cool. So could I work at a place like Public Health, probably not, but it works from some people and I respect them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you as it would be hard for me to sit at a desk all day as well. I'm also with you on the natural light, that just being a personal preference of mine. Your desire to learn new things and use new scientific research is respectable and really cool.

      Delete
    2. I have also found that Arlington officials interact a lot with each other which I think is important. I agree with you in that I would not want to sit at a desk all day. My mentor sees patients in various Arlington clinics which helps break up the monotony of sitting at a desk for an entire work day.

      Delete
  7. “The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting.”
    The hours at Rader Clinic are pretty rigidly set. The hours for the dental clinic specifically are from 7:30 AM to 4 PM. Although it’s pretty early for me, there is a lunch break in the middle from 11:30 to 12:20, so it is not as if there is no stopping throughout the whole day. Since the dental clinic is for active military only, they have places to go and have tight schedules with all that they have to do. This might be why they start so early.

    “The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between.”
    The work environment has been fine. There is not really any hostility between anyone in the clinic. Employees seem to get along with each other very well and I see them even laughing and making jokes with each other every once in a while including once attempting to introduce me as the new dentist to a man working in a different center at Rader. I do not see any competition and it is overall a welcoming environment, even if that’s not the first thing you might think when going to the dentist.

    “Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more.”
    As all the dentists are in the military, they have access to many things on the Fort Myer base. Some of these include a pool, a gym, several food places, a grocery store, the ability to go to other clinics should they have any health issues, and more. I am not really leaning towards being a military dentist, but should I be, these are things that could be provided.

    Concerning the hours, 7:30 in the morning as an arrival time is a bit too early for me. I’d like to start work a little later than that. The total of about 8.5 hours a day is reasonable in my opinion as it is a full time job and medical profession where sick call (people just coming in if they have any dental issues) is also an option in the morning. I would very much like to have the same working environment as the dentists I am working with. They seem to be very friendly and have fun with each other. The perks would not be something I would get unless I was in the military, so I do not really take that into consideration as I would want to work in the private sector or open up a clinic in a developing country. Overall, the environment and interactions people have with each other and patients is something I would like to have in the future with my career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you are enjoying your time! I know, waking up pretty early isn't really something for me either but you learn to kind of get over it. I hope in the future you get to have a career similar to the one you want.

      Delete
  8. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."
    The hours in Rader Clinic are pretty much the same everyday. They open and close the same time Monday- Friday, 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM and they are closed Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."
    People in Rader clinic dress really comfortably. Some days people are wearing jeans, a t-shirt, dresses and other days they are wearing scrubs. I think it depends on them how they want to dress that day, which makes them not as strict.
    "The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between."
    Everyone in the clinic is very sweet and they always like to have a little fun. You really always have a smile on your face the entire time you work because it is such a positive and relaxed environment. Everyone just does their job how they are supposed to be done and you can really tell they love what they do.

    I would really like to work in Rader clinic I think it would be a great fit for me. Although I would like to experience a bit of a fast paced environment like the ER. The hours are a bit early for me but I don't mind it sometimes. I like how it is not open on the weekends and how easy going this place is. It would make me happy to go to work everyday to see people who make you laugh once you step into the building. A place like this is something I look forward to in my medical career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this! I enjoy the people that I'm working with and the environment of the clinic. It's a good introduction to the medical field and the people I can work with in the future.

      Delete
    2. I think the part about people always having a smile on their faces and having fun is amazing, I think that is hard to find in a professional work environment.

      Delete
    3. I agree that Radar clinic overall has a friendly environment. The workers were trying to make sure that I was having a good time since I was an intern. They were friendly and patient with me while I was trying to learn the ropes. They joke around so you can smile and still do work.

      Delete
    4. I would also agree on how the environment is very positive and welcoming, which is always great. I think it's great how you're enjoying it as much as you hoped you would!

      Delete
  9. “The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting.”
    The hours at Rader Clinic are very strict with eight-hour work days. However, depending on which clinic you are at, there can be a little flexibility when you arrive. At the Readiness Clinic, you can come a little later or a little earlier because the workday revolves around appointments. At the Pharmacy, it is constantly busy and there always needs to be someone there.
    “The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days.”
    Soldiers have to wear their uniforms during their time at the clinic but the dress code is more relaxed for those who aren’t active duty. They can wear scrubs or anything that would be comfortable for them to work in.
    I enjoy the work environment at Rader Clinic. A strict work day is good for me because I would be able to plan my times around it and not have to suddenly drop everything to go to work. I would like to wear scrubs because they are comfortable. The working environment is also really good between the people who work there. Of course, depending on where you work, people get along to varying degrees but everyone is respectful to each other. I would like to work at a place like Rader Clinic but I would also like to work at a place that is more fast paced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoy the work environment at Radar clinic, it is important to work at a place where you can schedule your time to benefit yourself and be comfortable while working.

      Delete
    2. Scrubs do sound like a comfortable dress code! I'm glad the Rader Clinic has an agreeable environment and that the work hours fit to your liking.

      Delete
    3. I am glad that you do not have such a strict dress code! I also like being able to work in comfortable clothes. I agree with you that depending on where one works, people may get along to a certain extent but they still have to be respectful.

      Delete
  10. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."
    The hours I work at ETC are flexible, and change when I work at a new camp or at the office. Generally I work from 8:45-4, but if needed I am allowed to leave earlier or stay later. They are not very controlling.
    "The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between."
    The work environment at ETC is one of the nicest and most welcoming environments I've ever been in. Every single person that works at ETC is friendly, and they all seem to genuinely enjoy what they do. It is a positive and very relaxed environment where people are not colleagues, but friends.
    This culture fits in exactly the kind of work place I would like to be in. The work hours are structured but can be flexible if necessary, and the environment is welcoming and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really cool that your internship is that flexible and welcoming. I'm happy to hear that the culture of the internship fits in exactly with the work place you would like to be in.

      Delete
    2. It's great that the hours are so flexible. It's nice to be able to choose when you work and for how long. Also, having colleagues that enjoy their jobs makes the work environment that much better.

      Delete
  11. I agree that a smaller, friendly work environment can be better and not as overwhelming! When you are doing what you like to do, time can fly by!

    ReplyDelete

  12. The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days.

    I went into this internship expecting a fairly strict dress code of business casual. When I went in on the first day I was surprised to see that, even though there were many workers wearing the button down shirt and kakies that I expected, there were many simply wearing jeans and a collared shirt. I soon learned that the dress code for engineers is pretty flexible and anything from jeans to shirts and ties are accepted.

    The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between.

    The environment in my engineering firm is very relaxed and collaborative. The employees are constantly interacting through collaboration and assistance. The large, open room with no walls makes this easy. It is very relaxed with minimal competition, just collaboration with periods off topic conversation in between.

    I absolutely love this sort of work environment. The collaboration and constant interaction between employees around a small group of join projects is definitely a great fitting environment for me. The energy of the atmosphere makes for a fun and productive team. To add to this the friendly and laid back feel of the office makes it comfortable and free of judgement or insecurities. Everyone seems to be both coworkers and friends that are comfortable working together as a team. I can definitely see myself working in an environment like this in the future. I love collaboration and the constant interaction in a friendly atmosphere and its great to be able to dress simply based on how you feel like dressing on any particular day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you can see yourself working there. I think that it is important for jobs that rely heavily on projects and collaboration have office spaces that lend themselves to such practices.

      Delete
    2. Your office sounds awesome, can't believe that you guys can wear jeans!!!! Glad to hear that you enjoy the office and the people. Kindda very jealous, it's awesome that the office is laid back.

      Delete
    3. It's great that your job stresses collaboration, and that you can see yourself working there. That is the kind of environment I would want to work in too!

      Delete
  13. "The office space you get, including things such as cubicles, window offices, and rules regarding display of personal items."
    The office space at the Chamber of Commerce is really nice and open. There are large windows in each of the offices and my own desk, while not in an office, is very open and naturally lit. The natural light of the office really brings rejuvenation into my day and I like how my desk is outside where many people pass by and stop to chat with me throughout the day. I really like this set up because natural sunlight is very important to me as it helps me be productive throughout the day and to stay happy and positive. Additionally, the openness of the space I work in is also agreeable because it helps me talk to my colleagues and also get a feel of what goes on throughout the whole office.

    "Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more."
    The aren't any onsite perks at my office other than a nice kitchen and conference rooms that we use as lunch rooms. In the future I would hope that my workplace has these amenities stated above because I feel that they are very important for creating a nice balance between work and home life.

    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."
    The dress code is business casual, but more on the casual side. It is not really unheard of for women to wear colorful shirts instead of muted colors, and to wear dresses without a blazer. While this is what I would prefer in a workplace, I think I would really enjoy a casual workplace that has even less of a formal dress code because business casual is very uncomfortable for me.

    All in all, my workplace does have a very nice working environment that is very friendly and inviting. I could see myself working at a place like this for a year to a year and a half but not for my longterm career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like dressing business casual either, wish I could always wear jeans. Especially dressing up when your this age. It's nice that your workspace is so open though, being able to talk to everyone else easily.

      Delete
  14. I also like flexible scheduling, long days can make up for the short and like Eva said, since you like the job, you never have to watch the clock. Also, I think it's great that you have a good relationship with your mentor, I think being easy going with managers is a great component of a good work culture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between."

    The work environment is fun in my office. The employees are nice and they always work together which is also a necessity because they wouldn't be able to complete projects without help from multiple people. Additionally, the office has nice amenities that make the environment fun and welcoming. They have a candy jar at the front desk, a game of giant jenga, and Fridays are more laid back. For example, this Friday a guy brought his dog to work. Additionally, everyone decorated their work space and there was a lego building contest.

    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."

    The dress code is business casual, all the guys wear khakis and a button down. But on Fridays, it’s casual and you can wear jeans and sandals. You’re supposed to "dress for summer" so most people also wear colorful shirts or shorts.

    The environment at Ehlert Bryan is fun and they refer to themselves as a family. It is a place that I wouldn't mind working at. I would enjoy their parties, the candy, the dress code, and the decorations and their supportive and collaborative work environment. However, I think it would be awesome to work in a workshop kind of space and not an office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're having more fun! The office you're interning at sounds more like a friends house than a place that you work at. Hope it keeps getting better!

      Delete
    2. Your work environment sounds amazing. Everyone seems to have found a way to balance work and fun, which I think is important. They still complete projects, but still have the time to have parties. I would love to have a work environment like yours.

      Delete
    3. I like how in your office they allow you to dress "for the summer." That's pretty much how the dress code operates at my work too. You need to look presentable and professional enough to talk to clients and visitors, but you are definitely encouraged to be comfortable. The one conflicting thing though is my office is SO cold! I want to wear something light enough to walk into work because it is really hot outside, but warm enough so that I won't freeze in the office!

      Delete
  16. "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."

    At the pharmacy, wearing a white lab coat and name tag are basically the two formal rules. Some of the informal rules include wearing ankle length pants or skirts, preferably dark or black, closed toed shoes and long sleeved collared shirts. I personally do not like these rules that almost everyone follows. Clothes are a way of expressing oneself and I feel like that is hard to do with the dress code and that makes it hard to connect with customers and co-workers. This says that the culture at the pharmacy is very formal and somewhat strict.

    "Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more."
    There is a small break room upstairs that is for all the employees in the store, not just the pharmacy workers. Honestly the room is kind of dirty and run down. I am always eating alone as no one else seems to eat there. This creates a disconnect for me because the pharmacy itself is very organized and neat but the break room is something else. The pharmacy is very small and does not have its own room so I am forced to eat in the break room. I always thought break rooms were supposed to be a place where you meet other co-workers but that does not seem to be the case here. This sends me mixed signals about the culture, I feel like the store does not really pay attention to the employees, otherwise they would put more effort for the employees' comfort.

    Although the job itself is interesting, I have changed my mind and actually feel that the pharmacy is not a long term fit for me. I do not enjoy the strict dress codes and lack of care for the employees. I would like more laid back culture where connections are easily made and the employees are considered to be a valuable asset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doesn't sound like the break room in The Office (if only)! That's too bad that this has changed your mind, but I guess it is a blessing in disguise. I agree though, eating in a gross room can ruin things for you. I hope it gets better (just one more week)!!

      Delete
    2. It is good that you have learned more about what you want for a future career. Having an experience like this in an internship can save you from spending years working towards a career that is not for you.

      Delete
    3. Do you think this culture applies to pharmacies across the board, or just the pharmacy at this particular Giant?

      Delete
    4. This most likely applies to this particular pharmacy. The pharmacy cultures may be completely different but I do not think I will be changing my mind about being a pharmacist.

      Delete
  17. 1.The training and skills development you receive, which you need both on the job and to keep yourself marketable for future jobs and employers.
    Throughout the course of my internship, I have learned a lot about using Excel to interpret data, make calculations and complex graphs. This is a really important skill for future job opportunities, especially in public health because a it helps officials quantify health problems in order to create tactical solutions for them.

    The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days.
    At DHS, the dress is fairly casual. People in the office tend to wear nicer casual clothes such as white jeans and button up shirts. I have taken notice to this when I get ready for work in the morning so that I look professional and put together but don't look fancier than the other employees. For meetings with outside agencies and organizations however, it is standard, in my office that we dress up out of respect and to give an air of importance to what we are doing more so than on a typical day.

    I like that the office is casual and everyone is cordial to one another. However, I don't think that this type of office setting would be ideal because there is not quite as much structure to the work day and hours as I would like. The work varies, which is important, but each task seems to be all over the place in a way that can become disorganized quickly. All things considered, DHS would not be a bad place to work especially if I were just starting out because its a relaxed environment which lends itself well to learning the ropes of office culture as well as about the job and the working world as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you are learning skills to use later in the workforce, like how to use excel! This is a great time to learn about stuff like that, which I am sure will make you more marketable in the future!

      Delete
  18. The work environment at the Courthouse is very relaxed and fun. The girls like to gossip and talk about their lives. They asked if I thought that the office would be "up tight" and silent, except for keyboards typing away, but I said I was pleasantly surprised that it was not like that at all. It is nice to talk with everyone and get to know them better. We make jokes 24/7 and love to talk about pretty much anything. It can be tense when the girls do not get along because they all have contrasting personalities, but they say they are on their best behavior for me.
    The office space is cool because there are cubicles, but they are big and near each other. The cubicles are not high like the ones in movies or TV shows. You do not have to stand up to see over the wall, just turning around allows you to see anything. Most of the employees are young moms, so everyone has pictures of their son(s)/daughter(s) in their office space. They seem like a close group,so you can usually spot a picture of someone else's child hanging next to a computer.
    Because of this experience, I want a work environment similar to this. They dress up nice for work, but they have a calm atmosphere. They have assignments that they must complete before the day ends, but it is easy work that requires no rush. In addition, it is always nice to hear laughter in the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you get to work in an office environment like that! I did not think that the courthouse would be as relaxed as you say they are.

      Delete
    2. Haha I was surprised too, Andrew

      Delete
    3. That sounds like a fun place to work! It sounds like a good group of people to hang out with, and a good environment to be in. Wow

      Delete
    4. Yeah it is! I'm going to miss them!

      Delete
  19. My internship is with the military. There are many onsite perks that the military gives you. There is a free gym on base, cheaper food, discount tickets to various attractions, cheaper hotels, a quality bank, and free healthcare. The amount of benefits that the military provides exceeds my expectations. I come from a military family so I am used to these benefits. Consequently, I don't see myself working outside of the military. Healthcare seems far too complicated and it's so much easier to have military healthcare, which will cover everything.

    My internship made me realize how much interaction with employees matters to me. I have been able to laugh with some coworkers while still getting work done. We've also ordered food together. I found it rewarding and I enjoyed going to work. However, I also had some coworkers who did not match my personality type. I respect their different approaches, but they made work less enjoyable. I realized that even if I love the job, if the people are not for me, I would greatly dislike work. Ideally, I would like my coworkers and I to have an appropriate balance of fun and work.

    In my internship, I switch around. Last week, I was with the logistics department. If I was doing the work that I wanted to do, the work environment that I was just in would work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, so I also enjoy the many benefits that I would receive if I were an employee of the government, including health benefits and flexible hours.

      Delete
    2. Since I, too am with the military for my internship, I can relate to a lot of this! I never realized how many benefits there are, and military healthcare does sound like a great thing to take advantage of.

      Delete
    3. I don't work with the military I can't relate to all the benefits that the base gives. The most that I've seen is doctors being given free food and drinks.

      Delete
  20. The USPTO is a government facility and thus, very formal. That means that the attire is business casual. Being a government facility though, also means lots of on sight perks, lots of food options, a gym, and daycare not to mention other perks.

    There are a lot of interactions between the different departments. I enjoyed the fact that everyone knew each other,however I did not find it intellectually fulfilling. After this internship I realized that I do care about reactions however I'd rather be involved in the invention side of the patent office than the background of the patent office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The perks of working at a government facility sound very valuable. It's awesome that you were able to work with different departments within the USPTO.

      Delete
    2. Working for the government does have it's benefits, and it's great that there are a lot of onsite perks.

      Delete
  21. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting"

    I don't really know exactly how the hours work at the USPTO, but from what I have seen, it's very flexible. I see some employees coming in extremely early, and some coming in fairly late. It seems that part of the attitude towards the time employees come in, is just if they get whatever they needed to do done, it's all good. Again, I don't really know how the system works, but the option to telecommute seems fairly open.

    "Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more"

    The USPTO has plenty of onsite perks, including a daycare, a fitness center and gym, and an extremely good cafeteria. The USPTO is also fairly close to a metro station, as well as a Dunkin Donuts, 7-11, some pizza place, and a Lebanese restaurant (it has this review: "Hands down, best middle eastern food and hookah place in the country").

    With the seemingly flexible hours and the onsite perks, I would not be against working here if I was doing what I want to be doing. The dress code isn't too formal, it has good food and a couple of decent restaurants nearby, and free wifi (I think). Seems alright to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "The work environment, including how employees interact, the degree of competition, and whether it’s a fun or hostile environment — or something in between."
    The work environment at RNL Design, an architecture and engineering firm, highly encourages collaboration and interaction between employees. There are always multiple employees working together on different projects, so it's not competitive or hostile at all. This culture is exactly what I will seek out in the future.

    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."
    The dress code at RNL Design is business casual, so long pants and collared shirts are required, but ties are not. On "Casual Fridays," jeans and polos are acceptable. While this culture doesn't particularly bother me, I would prefer to work in an environment that has no dress code at all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting"
    I've noticed that the USPTO has a very well-established telecommuting program, and many people take advantage of this. Most people in my department work 9 to 4, like me, but there are a few with unusual hours. There is also one person I work with that splits time between departments during the week.
    "The training and skills development you receive, which you need both on the job and to keep yourself marketable for future jobs and employers"
    USPTO offers several opportunities for training. Two weeks ago, I participated in SharePoint training, which is helpful since many companies use SharePoint. Classes are also offered in Word, Excel, and other Office programs. If you work as a patent examiner, they will give you all the training you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that they give you so many opportunities for training! Being able to learn how to do a job well before you start doing it makes it much easier. It's no fun being asked to do a task that you have no idea how to do.

      Delete
  24. One of the components of corporate culture that affects my work as an intern is the office space I get. The Women's Memorial staff office is open and filled with employee's desks. There are no cubicles, thankfully. I would not like to work in an office with these sorts of tightly defined spaces. Although I value personal space, I wouldn't like this sort of isolation. At WIMSA, the employees are free to talk to each other all across the room, and sometimes they even share desk space or computers. I work at a round table, so I don't have my own desk but my work space is nevertheless comfortable.
    Another component of WIMSA's corporate culture that affects me is the training and skills development I received at the beginning of my time as an intern. I accompanied my mentor on a few walk-through's with clients, and before I started any of my projects, I was filled in on the Memorial's mission and its operation by tips from the employees. I also read information about the Memorial in their "master" binder. It was really helpful to have this period of transitioning into the workplace, as both working and the Memorial were completely new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that the open concept increases efficiency? I would find having a private cubicle more appealing.

      Delete
  25. "Interaction with other employees, including managers and top management."
    - Everyone has to work together at my company. Because it is so small, the Editor has to work with all of us individually when he wants to tell us to get a story or when he wants to edit a story. So, everyone really interacts with each other; there is no confusing or exclusive chain of command. I like this a lot - it makes me feel like my decisions and contributions really hold meaning. They are not getting tossed aside by uninvolved bosses, they are really getting considered.

    "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."
    - The hours you work really depend on the work you have to do. If you have an interview to go on, you may get in to work really early or really late. If you have several stories on one day, you may have to work longer hours than the next day. It is all dependent upon how much work you take on. I like this because it allows me to feel less tied to my desk and more free to complete the work the way I want to complete it. It is a stress-reducer.

    "Onsite perks, such as break rooms, gyms and play rooms, daycare facilities, and more."
    - My company has space in a satellite office, so there are other companies working on the same floor as ArlNow. The office sometimes supplies catered lunches, and always has drinks and refrigeration space available. There is also a great lunch space/small space to watch TV (mostly news or sports). While I wish ArlNow had its own office, I like the amenities offered by MakeOffices (our satellite office).

    I think this office environment works for me - if I objectively had to pick a space to work, this would most likely be it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This all sounds pretty cool Lindsay! Its nice that you don't have to be chained to the desk all day, and going out and interviewing people seems to be pretty interesting. Its good to here that your office inspires collaboration and that you feel you can easily ask your boss questions. I'm glad the environment is proving itself to be pleasant!

      Delete
  26. The first aspect of corporate culture that I looked at in my internship at the Potomac Nationals is hours and ability to telecommute. Employees here work very long hours on game days but have fairly flexible days on off days. Their hours are based on being at the office as opposed to time required to complete tasks. However there is no way to telecommute here, as the majority of the work requires being in the office. I don't think I would like this in a job. I like having work to complete and being able to leave when I'm done with it. I wouldn't like having to be there in order to answer phones all day. I also would like to be able to work from home. Another aspect that I looked at is office space. The office is all cubicles and feels quite cramped. I would like to have my own office that I can walk around. The final aspect I didn't like was that I didn't feel like I received much training. I think there would be more tasks I could do if I received some amount of training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think the lack of training also applies to employees?

      Delete
    2. That is unfortunate that you did not receive much training. Not being busy also makes a job boring. Hopefully you gained something at least from this internship.

      Delete
  27. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."
    The hours at the AETV are very flexible and easy to manage. Normally people work from 10-5, but if someone needs to leave early or stay late, that is never a big deal. In the event that that happens, people simply just work longer or shorter to balance out their hours. Likewise, if someone needs to miss a day, they just let the co-workers know before hand.
    "The office space you get, including things such as cubicles, window offices, and rules regarding display of personal items.
    The training and skills development you receive, which you need both on the job and to keep yourself marketable for "
    At the AETV, there is one office in the back of the building with five smaller offices inside it. The offices are roomy, and you are allowed to put as much personal stuff as you want in it. Additionally, all the computers are preloaded with movie making software like Adobe premiere and final cut. The only downside to the office is the fact that since the office is at the back of the building, there is no windows to the outside.
    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."
    The dress code is very simple at the AETV. Polo shirts and pants are the accepted attire. In the hotter times of the year, like summer, many people wear shorts. I wear a polo shirt and cargo everyday.

    All in all, the corprate culture at the AETV is very relaxed and I feel very welcome there everyday. In addition to that, I do something I love there, filmmaking. This is definately a place I would work in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are satisfied with the corporate culture at AETV. Having a relaxed and flexible atmosphere at your workplace is something I am looking for as well in my future place of employment.

      Delete
  28. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."

    The standard hours at the PTO are 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, but there is also a flextime program and a huge telecommuting program that many people take advantage of. With flextime, people can work 9 hours every day and get the Friday of every two weeks off, or work 10 hours a day and get every Friday off. Many, many people in the PTO work from home, and their hours are very flexible, although they do need to get a certain amount of hours in for each pay period. Overall, your hours are very flexible as long as you can get them all in.

    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."

    Most people here at the PTO dress business casual. However, it can vary widely, and there is some flexibility, as I have seen people who dress very casually, and people who dress very professionally, and everybody in between. It really depends on your job and what you're comfortable with.

    The work environment at the PTO really does fit in with what I am looking for in a workplace. There are not set hours that every employee must strictly follow, and the dress code is not too strict. I also like that they have so many outside perks: a gym located in the building, a cafeteria, plus a whole bunch of restaurants and even a movie theater located nearby. I would be a fan of working here or someplace with a similar environment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad so many of you chose an organization's hours as one component of corporate culture to discuss. I'm sure it was chosen so frequently because it's the first item on the list and because it's very straightforward; but I'm glad it was picked, because it's an excellent example of the "One Man's Poison" adage. As you read through the posts, I hope you noticed how a set, hourly schedule was cited as both a reason for loving and loathing a particular culture, as was the opposite, more free-wheeling type of schedule. Based on the M&M houses you constructed last week, you might even have been able to predict which of your fellow interns would prefer which structure.

    As Dr. Hansen noted in his article, it's important to learn all you can about a corporation's culture if you are considering a job (or even more important, a career) there. However, remember that few things in life are perfect so we always have the "$64K Question" - what are you willing to give up in order to get the job you want? Does natural daylight trump three hours per day of routine tasks? Does an opportunity to strike off and work on your own inventions at least part of the time outweigh the fact that the must work 9:00- 5:00? Think - think - think. And remember that the older you get, the more lasting the decisions you make.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some components of a companies culture that really caught my attention was mostly when Mr. Hansen was talking about the environment, the skills needed for this career, and where/times you'll be in work.

    For the work environment, it's like choosing you're personality in a way. Whether you're on the calmer side, you might not want to be around people who like to yell a lot (unless you enjoy listening). If you're not really into the corporate/professional feel, maybe find something that isn't as emphasized as others. All in all, find somewhere you feel at home and where you truly think you belong (while being happy with doing the job itself). I know from Rader Clinic, the Physical Therapy environment is more relaxed than others and, with their sense of humor, it makes it seem even more relaxed. They do have to be very professional at times, especially with higher ranked soldiers, but they make it the environment they had to make sure people think it's enjoyable to go.

    Skills needed for the career is kind of the main reason you even tried to sign up for the job. Mr. Hansen really talks about the training need for some jobs. Some careers might require more than others, which might mean you have to be more patient about it. Also, it might be more expensive and annoying to go to school for longer than usual people. It's really, again, your preference. For Physical Therapy, you do have to study a lot and understand a lot about the body before you do anything. Also, you need to make sure you have the skill to teach exercises and make sure the patient understands what's going on.

    Finally, your work hours and locations in which you will be in. Hours matter a lot because you might be someone who doesn't enjoy more than a certain amount of hours. You might be like me who is okay with any type of hours because you're okay with it (especially when you're interested in the medical field). Location is also very important. Some people don't like to travel and some adore it. Keep in mind of where people most likely will put you when given a certain job and make sure you feel comfortable doing so. In Rader Clinic, the hours we work are from 7:30am-4pm, but I know if you work at a hospital it might be different and more intense, depending on which part you're in.

    All in all, these are all factors in which people should really consider when they're trying to figure out the career path they want to follow and Mr. Hansen has way more that also are very important.

    ReplyDelete
  31. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."


    My hours here at the county and APCYF are fairly flexable. I work from roughly 10 to 3 but some days its 8-3 or 11-6. the hours vary for everyone in the office based on what they need to do that day. about 50 percent of the office staff are gone on summer sabbatical. For example, The persons desk that im using is gone for 2 months in Chile. That kind of long term vacation flexibility is super attractive to me. but obviously, I wount get to enjoy that perk because Friday is the final day.

    Dress code is not a big deal here. While we are in a traditional office enviorment, Its business casual most of the time. Collared shirts with dress pants Monday through Wednesday, and more casual wear on Thursday and Friday. its nice because I hate slacks and love wearing denim. I try to stay as professional looking as I can while still being casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an interesting contrast to the dress code at the USPTO. It is business casual everyday. I wonder if it's a government thing.

      Delete
  32. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting."
    The hours at NVCT are fairly flexible, while most people work eight hour days, it is not restricted to 9-5. Also there isn't really a strict schedule from day-to-day. Most of the staff members are doing something different everyday, whether it be going on site-visits, or just going to meetings with partners. Similar to Cooper, I am working in the office of a woman who has taken a two and half week vacation in Alaska. Another coworker of mine is getting married in the fall, and her boss has been very lenient on how much time she can take off. I think the office's approach to scheduling is very nice because it is so relaxed.

    "Interaction with other employees, including managers and top management."
    Everybody in my office is always collaborating on projects with each other, the environment is very open and encourages discussion.Because my office is fairly small, the director is always able to have time to talk to everybody and it doesn't feel as though anybody ranks above another. Also every week we have a staff meeting over lunch and we just go around the table and everyone briefly discusses what they are working on and asks if anybody has ideas. I think these staff meetings are really nice because it allows everybody to be on the same page about things.

    ReplyDelete
  33. "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting"
    Most people in the Army Band's unit at fort myer do not work your typica 9-5 day, much like other musicians in a music career. They must practice on their own, but they rehearse as a group more in the days leading up to a show or concert. Their typical rehearsals are 2.5 hours long, and are followed by other work (most people in the unit have another role in the band's outreach programs, for example. This is mostly independent, and therefore their schedules are more flexible than most. I definitely like this schedule because it gives you as an individual time to pursue things within your career that you are passionate about.
    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."
    At my internship, this aspect is way different from other workplaces. While at work, everyone must wear their uniform, which consists of their camouflage-like top and bottoms, boots, and hair tied back for women or short for males. This creates a vibe that everyone is seen as more or less an equal. Rankings are indicated by a small patch on the front of the uniform. The uniforms help contribute to the equality and respect of the professional environment. While it is harder to express personal style, the uniform is a really special and respected part of the Army.


    ReplyDelete
  34. The first component of company culture that I looked at was "The hours you work per day, per week, including options such as flextime and telecommuting." Most days at Arlington foot and Ankle are based on the scheduled appointments that we have. If the last patient is at four for example we would leave around five or six after everything is written and cleaned up.

    "The dress code, including the accepted styles of attire and things such as casual days."


    The dress code culture at Arlington foot and Ankle is far from casual. The typical dress wear for interns include dress pants/ khakis, and a nice button down. Besides this the only other clothing option are scrubs which is absolutely normal for a medical office. Since it is a medical profession casual dress days aren't an option. To keep up the professional air everyday everyone needs to dress professionally or in scrubs to ensure the comfort of patients that expect to see people professionally dressed which in result comes off to them as an office that knows what they are doing and will create a good experience for them. Apart from this it is easy to tell who is who. The doctor will be in scrubs and a white coat clearly telling the patients that he is the doctor, the nurse or medical assistant will be in scrubs, and the intern will be in professional dress wear.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That work environment seems a little like mine. Very small, somewhat laid back and not overwhelming at all. Sort of a unique job experience and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. My work environment was so small and easygoing that I'm not sure that a "corporate culture" really applies. There was only one full-time employee, my mentor, and there were little set rules. I really like this arraignment because even though it wasn't strict work still got done quickly and everything was very busy. Rules were mostly unwritten and hours were very flexible. Dress code was just business casual. Again, since the work environment was so small it was very hard to compare it to some of the things the author of the article described.

    ReplyDelete
  37. At Dr. Shum-Brady’s office, the two receptionists and Dr. Shum-Brady herself work the same business hours. The work environment is fast paced and demanding, but the workplace relationships are very close. Everyone is like a family. We all eat lunch together, and we bring food to share at lunch. The work that needs to get done is almost entirely done with teamwork. Tula, one of the receptionists, is in charge of preparing the patient to see Dr. Shum-Brady. She handles the patient insurances and does the scheduling. Bola, the other receptionist, is entirely responsible of the billing. She makes sure that people that still owe money are paying, as well as handling the insurance companies directly. Dr. Shum-Brady makes sure that Bola and Tula know if she needs something for a patient and is very clear about what needs to be done. I really like the work environment in Dr. Shum-Brady’s office, very close knit and very team oriented. I can definitely see myself working in this environment. So I think that I would do well in such a fast paced environment because the family like relationships offset the stress of the work.

    ReplyDelete