Please respond to this question when you have wrapped up your internship.
For
the past four weeks, you have been deeply involved in the world of
work. You have been immersed in a corporate culture, shadowed
professionals, chatted with co-workers, and tried out many new "hats."
What did it all mean?
In
the proverbial "25 words or less" (okay, maybe 50 words), distill the
essence of your internship experience. What meant the most to you?
Maybe
your mentor made a comment that really resonated. Perhaps it was
something you observed in your co-workers that provided you with a
"eureka moment." A task that seemed mundane when assigned may have
proved to be profound in a way you never expected.
Whatever it is, tell us what you will take away from PRIME 2016.
Overall, I felt that my internship was very beneficial to me and taught me a lot. I went into this experience being a bit apprehensive because I didn't think that this internship was the best for me, however I am leaving with a very different mindset. After shadowing just about everybody in my office, I have learned that this is a career field I can see myself entering. While land conservation is still not my top choice, the PRIME program gave me the opportunity to learn more about it, and find a greater appreciation for it.
ReplyDeleteUltimately, I had a wonderful experience interning at USPTO. I learned so much about this agency and how information technology helps it achieve its mission. I also discovered a lot about myself during the internship. Before, I used to think that working in an office was not for me and I needed to be traveling in order to like my job. But I realized I like doing both. I can definitely see myself pursuing an information technology career. The Prime Program has given me new opportunities and connections to help me get started on the right path.
ReplyDeleteWhile I'm still unsure if I would like to go into architecture and engineering, I learned a lot about both the field and professional environments in general through my internship experience. Above all, I learned how important it is to find a career field that you truly enjoy, no matter how much it pays or how many benefits it provides.
ReplyDeleteAt the USPTO, I spent the majority of my time collecting inventory of all the A/V equipment in the conference rooms and putting that data onto a spreadsheet. For the first couple weeks, I felt this job was just busy work for me to do because they didn't have anything else. However, my contributions really did make an impact here at the CIO, because now they can take steps to standardize the equipment across the PTO. My work actually had an impact on the office, and will continue to be used after I have left. Because of PRIME, I have made many important connections and discoveries here that will help set me on my career path.
ReplyDeleteOverall I did find a few benefits from working at Arlington foot and Ankle. While I am still certain I will not be working in medical offices I've learned how to speak to people comfortably and ensure that they are too. The most important thing I learned from my prime internship is to do what I love. If I'm going to put so much effort into something, I want to enjoy it and make sure everyone around me is safe. Overall I learned that a private practice isn't for everyone.
ReplyDeleteI loved all the work I did at the Women's Memorial, so I will definitely take away that if you maintain a positive attitude and smile, you can always manage to find some enjoyment in a work day. I also learned that it is important to be flexible and open to change and suggestions from coworkers, managers, or bosses. Everyone's ideas are important, and if you are inflexible or unwilling to make adjustments, it will not only hurt your reputation, but it will also hinder the progress of the organization/company. Being open-minded and kind to coworkers is crucial.
ReplyDeleteThe work I did while at the Cowen Design Group really opened my eyes to the environment of the real world. Up until the internship, I know the concept of engineer but want really sure how it translated into the real world. Now with real experience, I discovered that civil engineers aren't just the people who draw pipes and roads as the stereotypes suggests. They are the people behind the scenes that really make the world work. I learned both that this is something that I would love to be a part of, and that careers are so much more than they seem on the surface.
ReplyDeleteBy taking part of this internship, I have learned things you can't just look up on goggle and/or a textbook. You saw actual people doing what you have dreamt of doing for a while now. In Rader Clinic, you learned the medical profession, but on top of that, you learned how to do it with active duty, retired, and/or family members that have been through the same thing in the military. All in all, I've learned that you should just make you life enjoyable; not only should you let yourself be happy, but also your patients, or else they won't want to come back. Some people will be difficult, but if you become patient enough, you will be able to treat them and feel like the bigger and more mature person. I'll never forget this experience ever again and I hope to do something that is similar to this in the future!
ReplyDeleteOn my last day of my internship, I was surprised by a letter to me waiting on my desk and surprise donuts brought in, in honor of my last day. The letter was a thank you card and gift card to me from everyone at the office, and I was deeply touched by everything since I wasn't expecting anything special at all! It felt great to know that my efforts and work was appreciated! I walked away knowing that I wouldn't do too bad in my future endeavors! :)
ReplyDeleteBy taking part in this internship I didn't learn what I hoped to. I was hoping to learn about engineering and maybe get to see some of the engineers doing their magic. But I did learn that you have to work your way up in an office. And you have to confront your mentor or boss if you feel that you could be more useful. This internship also confirmed my disinterest in architecture, civil, and structural engineering.
ReplyDeleteI still have two weeks left of my internship and in happy that there is. One of the best things about my internship would be hearing "Ms.Smith" all around the class room by all the different students. It feels really good to help out younger students understand something that didn't click before. I really enjoy working with these students and I hope I get a chance to teach again. I learned a lot about the perks are troubles of being a teacher and I hope to have a career in it in the future.
ReplyDeleteThis internship has opened my eyes to a different side of medicine. While I want to work in a hospital or private practice, I will be interacting with people like the ones I met over the past month. Now I will be able understand more about their program and clients.
ReplyDeleteDuring my internship at DHS, I learned that there is always much more going on in a community than meets the average eye. I was able to learn about the services Arlington provides to residents and most importantly I was able to see the impact of those services on said residents, especially those with special medical needs, low income families and individuals or refugees who have been placed in Arlington. Through my work, I have learned public health and the health of the public is something that is truly important to me and something I want to pursue.
ReplyDeleteI had an incredible experience working with Educational Theatre Company because it showed me just how many new people and great relationships I can form in such a short amount of time in such a comforting and welcome environment. What I take away from Prime 2016 is while in the future I will need a job for financial reasons, it should be most important for me to like the work I do and the people I do it with.
ReplyDelete"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it."
ReplyDelete- Steve Jobs
I am thankful that I learned about the "real world". This internship was a major reality check. I discovered that everyone has a picture of what their dream job is going to be like, but 99% of the time the real life job is a disappointment. It was great to learn how to file and research through out this internship because it will be helpful in whatever career I choose to pursue.
ReplyDeleteExposure to a working environment has made me realize so many things about work. I have worked before as a referee, but I did not have a work environment where I was constantly interacting with coworkers. This internship let me learn that work environment is one of the most important factors for me in a job.
ReplyDeleteMy internship with the United States Army Band was full of pleasant surprises for me. While, like many others, I am not sure that my internship is in a field I intend on pursuing, I had a great time and learned countless lessons about being in the professional world. I was able to learn lots of skills that I am sure will help me with whatever career I end up pursuing.
ReplyDeleteMy internship at the Arlington Educational Television provided me with experience that I never knew I could have. While here, I learned how to make film and work in a professional environment. I also found out just how much I am capable of because I learned that I could make my own short film and really preform in the world of film
ReplyDeleteMy internship at Rader Clinic was an extremely useful experience that will have a significant impact on future career decisions. I learned about what the typical day is like in a variety of different medical careers. I am really grateful for this real world experience that I never could have got from just reading on the internet. It was an invaluable experience that I will draw on in the future.
ReplyDeleteWorking at Cue Recording studios was a very fulfilling experience. I met lots of knew people and was given a first hand look at how a business is run. I'm not sure if it's the career I'd pursue, but the lessons learned in my 4 weeks will be invaluable regardless of career choice.
ReplyDeleteMy experience at Rader Dental Clinic has opened my eyes to the importance of loving what you do. Everyone in the clinic seemed to enjoy what they do and always had positive attitudes. This attitude was not only apparent to me but also to the patients. A kind doctor with a good outlook and confidence in what they do comes across well to patients and allows the dentist to garner trust. What meant the most to me was everyone’s kindness and encouragement for me to ask questions and to never hold back if there was something I didn’t understand. I am very grateful for this experience and everyone at Rader.
ReplyDeleteRader Clinic has helped me understand the importance of loving what you do and the people you work with. Even though I had periods of downtime, I never felt forced or bored because of the people I worked with. They were all willing to talk about their experiences in life and offer me advice. I also learned a lot by observing others and how they interact with patients. My own interactions with patients were wonderful because they were often filled with kind words and encouragement.
ReplyDeleteMy internship at USPTO has helped me understand how IT is handled in large companies and in the government. Everyone I worked with gave me helpful advice about my work and my future. I don't know whether I will work in this field or not, but this was a great experience for me either way.
ReplyDeleteMy internship has taught me a lot. For the past four weeks I got to experience "the real world" and I really enjoyed it. The people in Rader Clinic are the best. Each person I came across taught me so much, personally and medically. This experience was the best because you got to see with your own eyes what being in the medical profession was all about. On top of all of the medical terms I learned I also learned about the medical military aspect. All of us in Rader Clinic can agree that it was awesome because of the environment. I loved to wake up early every morning to get to Rader. As Jessy said, I also want to do something similar to this in the future. I will never forget this and I really hope to go back and visit because I never want to loose the wonderful people I meet and really bonded with.
ReplyDeleteRemember to always give your heart and soul to everything you do, treat people the way you would like to be treated and love what you do because you are the one making the difference in someone else's life but it's up to you to make it a good one.
ReplyDeleteWhat I took away from my mentor was that it would not be easy to do what I would like to as a career. I knew it would take hard work but I actually see how hard I'll need to work and make sure that I am truly willing to dedicate myself to the career path.
ReplyDeleteMake the best of any situation, even if you would rather be anywhere else, clear your mind and observe your surroundings. There is always something new to learn, new people to meet and new things to try out, just because you do not like it , does not mean others do not either. Learn to find the diamond in the rough, maybe it will be you.
ReplyDeleteMy Internship was a great experience in which I got a taste of what life is like out of school. Though I do not want to work in the field of computer science, working at the patent office still tought me a lot of useful skills for any field.
ReplyDeletesometimes a job is just a job. You don't have to love your career, but it certainly helps. don't try to be something you're not and put forth the best work you can do. And at the end of the day, remember that its just a job
ReplyDeleteOverall, I didn't think it was possible to learn as much as I did in such a short span of time. Dr. Shum-Brady gave me so much helpful advice that will help me for the rest of my life, especially in medical school. I couldn't have hoped for a better internship.
ReplyDeleteWorking at ARLnow showed me that being a part of a work environment is a lot like being a part of a sports team. Everyone has a different job, but the end goal is the same. Even if I do not go into a career in journalism, I will always be able to use the social and professional skills I learned.
ReplyDelete